Diabetic Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mdelisle, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdelisle

mdelisle Member

My kitty Puckett has some neuropathy issues but he's not bad. His diabetes is under control but I'm wondering what others have done to help the neuropathy. I know B-12 (methylcobalamin) is what is used but injectable ... oral ... ? Puckett seems to be able to get around OK but sometimes he seems to walk flatter on his hind feet than others. It doesn't seem to be all the time. I'm wondering if now is the time to address this issue rather than wait any longer.

2. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

There are several good methyl B12 products available. I use Xobaline 3 mg, ordered from VitaminLife.com. Hillary and Maui use another brand but both seem to be good.

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Have you looked into arthritis? If Puckett is well regulated his neuropathy should be easing, so check out other causes.

4. mdelisle

mdelisle Member

It's definitely neuropathy not arthritis. His feet will go out from under him when he's on the tile floors (which is only in the kitchen and bathroom). And he's not walking on tip toes ... more flattened on the hind feet.

5. mdelisle

mdelisle Member

I'd prefer injectible as he's very difficult to give oral meds to. I am a former vet tech and giving injections is so quick and easy compared to pilling ... especially Puckett. I talked to my vet today and she's going to get me the price for the injectible and I suspect we'll be going that route.

6. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

The Methyl B-12 I got was powder inside a gel-capsule. It was unflavored, unsweetened etc. I just twisted open the capsules and sprinkled the powder in Yittle's food and mixed it in. He never seemed to notice it was in there and it had no effect on his eating etc.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Injectable is very nice if you get Methylcobalamin -- but I think your vet is going to try giving you B-12 (cyanocobalamin) instead. I think so because I don't think injectable methylcobalamin is available, and because you're using B-12 and methylcobalamin interchangeably in your posts.

less than 1% of that can be converted within the body to methylcobalamin, and that's the only form that crosses the blood-brain barrier and affects the spinal cord and therefore seems to help with neuropathy. So unless you can really get Methylcobalamin, you and your vet will be disappointed, and the vet will go away with the impression that B-12 doesn't work on neuropathy.

Which is just wrong. You need to use the right sort. Methylcobalamin or nothing.

http://drzarkov.com/delano/Articles/Met ... -pets.html
    http://www.laurieulrich.com/jasper/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1324807

9. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Just picked up some B12 for Jane, who's got hindquarter neuropathy after a rough weekend, a 600+ reading and a hypo at 29.

We've got the bad stuff under control, I think, and read Steve's links -- got this:

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/ ... 1811-1.jpg

Any idea how I can figure out dose? she's 6 pounds, and these are 1000mcg pills.

Thanks, everybody!

10. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

sent you a link most give 3-5mg a day that is 1mg=1000mcg

11. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

I give my cats injectable B-12. I bought a 100 ml bottle from my vet for about $15. They get .25 ml once per week. It is relatively easy to inject them.

12. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Lydia - is it the methyl B-12 or the other kind that starts with a c?

13. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

I just checked the bottle and it IS cobalmin. I seem to remember that the methyl is recommended for neuropathy. This B-12 is actually prescribed for my civvie who has pancreatitis. The vet said that it would be good for Jake to get too even though he doesn't have neuropathy. He is a bit stiff and arthritic.

14. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

well, i'll give a call and ask about it tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.