Diabetic Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NurseNancy, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NurseNancy

NurseNancy New Member

Hello I am new to this wonderful informational forum. My cat Allie who is a male was diagnosed with diabetes about three months ago. he has been on Prozinc and is doing pretty well with it. he is still urinating more than I would like. he is on a diabetic cat food Royal Canin.
    My biggest problem is that he has diabetic neuropathy and it is getting worse each day. he can hardly jump up on a chair anymore his feet have gotten so flat. it is so sad.I have a lot of trouble prickinghis ear and getting the blood to come out. I am still new to this but trying every day to check his glucose.right now he is on four units of Prozinc in the morning and four in the evening all suggestions welcome!

Attached Files:

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Nurse Nancy. You have come to the right place to help Allie. There is a wealth of information here to read and learn, a whole community of support as well as knowledgeable and experienced members to advise and inform.
    First, l would advise getting your signature created, so that the other members will have ready information on Allie. Here is a link on how to do that: Create your Signature
    We also use a spreadsheet that tracks blood glucose tests before shots, other BG tests and has a comment section for additional information. You didn't mention if you were home testing, but being a nurse, you would be aware of the critical importance of that if you are injecting insulin. Here is a link for information on understanding and setting up a spreadsheet: Spreadsheet
    The neuropathy is certainly concerning and there are members here who have dealt with and are dealing with this condition. I suggest you copy your original post here in the Welcome forum and go to the Main Forum, create a new thread and paste the original post. This forum is essentially the welcome mat on the front porch and not all members have the opportunity to look in as often. To Main Forum. We want to help you help Allie get better, we care very much for all the sick fur kids.

Arkali likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Is it the RC WET OR DRY? if it's the dry that is part of the problem. You want him on low carb wet food. Many of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. There's a food list at the top of the main forum.

If you haven't started b12 methylcobalamin supplements for the neuropathy, that's your next step. A popular one is Zobaline which is available on amazon.

Zobalineā„¢ (for Diabetic Cats) 3 mg x 60 tabs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G3LI2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2CIABb22767F4

What gauge lancets are you using? If they are not 26 or 28 gauge then switch. Human lancets (30+) are too thin.

Arkali likes this.
  4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Neuropathy is a common topic here. You may want to search for threads about it. Leo had neuropathy. Real bad. We resolved it:
    - blood glucose (BG) regulation
    - B12 via Zobaline

Arkali and Esi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.