Diabetic Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Giomax, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giomax

Giomax Member

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed Max walking funny on his back legs. At first it was barely noticeable, but now it's very noticeable to me. His back feet slip on the floor, he doesn't walk on them straight, and he often sits or lays after walking several steps.

I can't get his BG below 400 despite him being on 4 units twice daily. I home test with a human meter at least twice a day, usually 2-4 hours post-shot, with a six or an eight hours thrown in at times. Whenever I test right before his injection it's in the 500 range. He's on a diet of canned food and high protein dry food. I've cut the Purina out completely. Nothing seems to be helping.

ANYWAY.

Point is, his BG is always elevated and now the neuropathy has set in. I tried talking to my vet about it yesterday but he wasn't available and they don't open again until tomorrow morning. It's been almost four months since the diagnosis and we've gone up about 1 unit every month using fructosamine testing (and now home testing) as a guide. He just isn't improving and I can't stand here and watch him deteriorate before my eyes. I did the Big Bad and increased his insulin by 1 unit tonight (he got 5 instead of 4). I'm watching him very closely for signs of hypoglycemia. I'm planning on testing him every two hours to check his levels. I don't think he's in any danger, but I'm ready with the corn syrup just in case.

I'm sincerely hoping this neuropathy is reversible.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

We have a dosing protocol for lantus you can follow. Please read over the yellow stickies at the top. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

Sorry to hear about the neuropathy. Glad you are home testing. That will make the biggest difference. Your cat may have some insulin resistance causing him to need a larger dose until you find his breakthrough dose.

Neuropathy will improve with better bg numbers and b12 methylcobalamin supplements. Many on here use a brand called Zobaline found on Amazon.

Now that you're testing you will want to set up a spreadsheet so we can help you better. Here is info on this.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/

3. Giomax

Giomax Member

4. Giomax

Giomax Member

Two hours post shot and we're at 310!

I'm super excited. This is the lowest we've been in a long time!

5. JanetNJ

Great! I know 5 is a higher dose than most get, but they need what they need. My cat is currently getting 10 units twice a day. At her most she got 12. It's just what it is. But I'm glad you're testing.

Giomax likes this.
  6. Giomax

Giomax Member

He just hasn't been making any progress since diagnosis! And to see him deteriorate right in front of me, something had to give. I'll test again in two hours. Hopefully we'll be even lower! Gonna do the same routine tomorrow. I'm off work the next two days so I'll be monitoring closely.

7. JanetNJ

Please write on the lantus section. There are many very experienced folks on there more familiar with your insulin that can advise you. :)

8. Giomax

Giomax Member

Sorry, just excited! :D

JanetNJ likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

Are you testing for ketones? With such high numbers it would be a good idea.

10. Giomax

Giomax Member

He was tested three days ago and is ketone-free!

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

Ok good. I have a ketone blood meter. When my cat runs high for several days I check.

12. Giomax

Giomax Member

I don't test at home for ketones, but he's been tested at the vet, and his urine was tested at the animal hospital three nights ago.

JanetNJ likes this.
  13. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I do suggest you get some urine test strips at the pharmacy (human ones work just fine for testing ketones) and test if possible once a day at least while he's running high numbers at home because ketones can develop quite quickly and is better to catch them at the very beginning

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  14. Giomax

Giomax Member

I will look into this. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.