Diagnosed 12 yr old Lily

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MetroMike, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetroMike

MetroMike New Member

My Lily is a 12 yr old beautiful Tortie we have had since she was 4 months old. After some frustrating days of her going 2 feet from the litter box instead of in it, losing weight, puking way way too often and being a bit clumsy we brought her in to the vet. Lily thinks this is the worst thing ever so we have kept vet visits to a minimum. Since the diagnoses and urine sample confirmation we started insulin on 8/16/2019. 1 UNIT of ProZinc twice a day. I have changed her food to only canned food and she has received 1 UNIT twice daily prior to eating at 5am and 5pm since 8/26. She is my angel, the very definition of innocence and this is just hurting my heart.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Mike and Lily, welcome to FDMB. Poor Lily, but with effective diabetic treatment Lily is going to think this is the best thing ever, and so will you!

Effective diabetic treatment has three main components, proper low carb wet diet, insulin therapy and home testing the blood sugar. We have all been through the same processes, and we will help you learn all the steps to the sugar dance. Lily is going to feel much better and you are going to know you are taking the very best care of her.

Just to get going here, please create a signature so we can see Lily's information each time you post.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Then, it would be best to get a new thread going on the Main Health forum HERE so more members can meet you and sweet Lilly, and begin to offer support and information as you go along. If you like, you can just copy your post above, start a new thread there and paste the message.

Since Lily is on Prozinc you can read the Beginner's Guide to Prozinc in that insulin support forum HERE, so you know how it works and how home testing the blood sugar is going to help keep Lily safe and let you know how the insulin is working for her.

I am looking forward to seeing a picture of this little angel Tortie and seeing her progress as you learn the sugar dance.

3. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

Welcome! Dry to low carb wet food can have a dramatic effect on blood glucose levels. Congrats! Setting up your signature will provide info on your kitty to all forum members. Home testing is also recommended. Giving insulin without knowing what the BG level is can send Lily into hypoglycemia which is dangerous. It also provides data so that knowledgable members can provide dosage recommendations.

The main forum has larger audience, but the ProZinc forum will have the people experienced with that form of insulin.

It would be nice to have a photo of Lily as your avatar so we can enjoy more cat pictures. Photo can be added under the "Personal Details" tab under you name on the top right hand side in the dark blue bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.