Diagnosed 3 days ago

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meli, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meli

Meli New Member

Hi, my 11 year old Burmese cat was diagnosed as diabetic 3 days ago. He had become very thin and blood test confirmed the high glucose levels. Vet prescribed insulin Glargine Lantus and m/d wet food. The glucose levels are coming down, but not enough yet. I would like to try home testing and using a better food, but not sure how to start.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

What dose of Lantus are you giving every hours?

As you are already giving insulin, focus on learning to home test successfully, as diet changes can drastically drop the glucose levels (100-200 mg/dL decrease) and the insulin dose (1-2 unit decrease). You'll need an inexpensive human glucometer such as the Target Up and Up, Glucocard 01 or 01 Mini, or WalMart ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro. Get a box of lancets labelled for alternate site testing (25-28 gauge and more likely to draw a blood droplet). Then pop on You Tube to find some videos of home testing, practice on an apple and yourself first to get the hang of it, then take a stab at testing your cat (pun intended :D)

Once you feel comfortable testing, you'll be ready to look at diet change to a low carb, over the counter, canned or raw food. Our go to web site is Cat Info by Dr Pierson who specializes in feline nutrition. There's a food list you can download for reference.

3. Meli

Meli New Member

Hi, Thank you for your message.

The vet started us off with 0.005ml Lantus twice a day. This has now been increased to 0.015ml twice a day. I started home testing today, got a reading of 4.7mmol/L (85mg/dL) at 6 hours after morning insulin shot. How often should I test?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Insulin is dosed i units, not ml.
    Are you using insulin syringes?
    0.005 ml would be 1/2 unit
    0.015 ml would be 1 1/2 units

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Testing:
    1) Always test before giving insulin to make sure it is safe.
    For now, your no shot level is 200 mg/dL on a human glucometer (230 for pet-specific); this will lower as you collect data around the middle of the cycle to know how low he is going.

2) Mid-cycle tests between shots - whenever possible, test around the nadir (lowest glucose level between shots) for your insulin, to see how low he's going. For Lantus, this often falls between +5 to +7 hours after the shot. Some folks do this on weekends or set a clock for the middle of the night to get this test done as it helps determine dose adjustments. This number should be at or above 50 mg/dL on a human glucometer (68 mg/dL for pet-specific meter).

3) a before bed test is helpful in determining if you need to break out some higher carb food and steer the glucose level or go to bed with some peace of mind. Steering means giving 1-2 teaspoons of high carb gravy, waiting 30 minutes, and re-testing (repeating as needed) to make sure the glucose stays above 50 mg/dL.

6. Meli

Meli New Member

Hi, Thank you for your advice. The insulin dosage is as you described, Larry. Thanks for clarifying.
    BJM, I have followed your suggestions for testing. This morning, the level was low (103mg/dL) so I did not give insulin. Had a vet check a few hours later, still low (97mg/dL). Tested at +7, level was 77mg/dL.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Those are nice normal numbers.
    How long since Connor last had insulin?

Eliz

8. Meli

Meli New Member

Hi Eliz,
    I just tested again, level is at 68mg/dL at PMPS, Connors last Insulin shot was 24hr ago.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may be one of the lucky ones. If Conner makes it 14 days with no insulin and staying below 130 mg/dL, we will declare him officially off the juice (OTJ).
    Fingers crossed.

10. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Hi there
    My Tiggy was diagnosed in April. I'm certainly no expert, as I'm fairly new but I found that the diet change made a huge difference in controlling my Tiggy's diabetes. He was able to get off of his insulin after a very short time. However, as that say here on the Feline Diabetes Message Board (FDMB), every cat is different.
    I used the Relion Comfort Blood Glucose meter to do his home blood glucose testing, as I found it to be very easy to use. But find one that works best for you. My Tigz also is very willing to sit still for his BG testing since he knows he will get a low-carb "treat" afterwards! He love, love, loves these!
    Everyone is here for you and knows what you're going through. You can do it! Best Wishes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.