Diagnosed 5 months ago...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Max99, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max99

Max99 Member

Hi everyone,

My cat Pepsi is 18 years old. She has had chronic health conditions since she was born (we got her when she was a kitten). She had ear mites when we got her so had to be treated for that. We then had her tested for skin and food allergies, which she has, so she's been on steroids for a long time and also special hypoallergenic food.

Over a year ago, she was diagnosed with a heart murmur, which she's also on medication for. She's also now on lactulose longterm and just the last week was put on Synoquin. Regarding the diabetes, the vet did mention that for cats on steroids, it is best to change onto another medication, but the vet thought that because Pepsi is stable on the steroids that it would be better to keep her on them.

Pepsi's currently on 1.5 ml of insulin twice a day but the vet phoned me & asked me to increase to 2ml tomorrow morning and watch her during the day to make sure her blood glucose doesn't go too low 6 hrs after her first injection. This was after I did a glucose curve at home the other day and it didn't really turn out as a curve at all. :/. A month ago I carried out my first home glucose curve where is was a perfect curve... Her weight is stabilised though so that's one good thing. :).

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Pepsi is having so much trouble. We can certainly help you with dosing and other questions.

In glad to hear you test at home....it's really the best tool to keep her safe and find the right dose.

Tell me about the food she's on.

3. Max99

Max99 Member

Hi Janet,

She's on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic dry food. She grazes on it through the day and night. I've just looked into Young Again cat food as someone said it's helped with their cat on this forum, but as I live in the UK, I don't think it's available.

4. JanetNJ

Young again is great but would BE VERY expensive to shop. See if Dr elsley's clean protein is available by you. Or evo cat and kitten

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

What ingredients is she allergic to

6. JanetNJ

I just looked it up and Royal Canon Hypoallergenic is 33 % carb.... Very high. If you can find a wet food that satisfies her dietary needs that would be great.

7. Max99

Max99 Member

Okay, thanks, I'll look these up later on. :).

8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Max and Pepsi!
    Glad you are home testing, we would like to help you get Pepsi's numbers under better control and we use a Spreadsheet to offer suggestions. We're very data driven here ;). This is the template, if you need help just ask: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Setting up your signature will also help give a "quick glance" to Pepsi's information, and help those of us with bad memories :rolleyes: instructions here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    Be sure to include her food allergy and other health issues too :cat:

Lastly, I like to give this to new members: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Feel free to ask any questions on the Main Health Forum! We just had another new UK member join too :)

9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!
    I just want to chime in regarding the steroid....
    My (non diabetic) cat was on pred for a VERY short time and ended up in heart failure....
    I went to a very good cardiologist and we have switched to budesonide which is helping him quite a bit without the "harshness" of pred of other steroids. His heart condition has greatly improved as well. They had told me 2-4 weeks if I was lucky and that was almost 10 months ago. He is active and bright and nearly 20!

This is my boy :)

IMG_0423.JPG

Last edited: May 26, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.