Diagnosed on Saturday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Verminator, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verminator

Verminator New Member

Hi, everyone.

My 12-year-old cat Vermin (hence the screenname) just got diagnosed as diabetic on Saturday. It's all been pretty rough for him, starting with a two day hospitalization. He's home now, but won't let me give his shots, so I'm kind of losing my mind. I'm going to go work my way through some previous posts to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Vermin and his human :bighug: What was he in the hospital for? DKA? Are you home testing BG and ketones? If you could setup your signature with some information, it will help when you post questions on the Main Health Forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

We are very data driven here and most of us home test BG levels: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

We will try to help YOU and Vermin :cat:

3. Verminator

Verminator New Member

I'm four days into this. Two, if you don't count when he was at the vet. I know nothing.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Just a little confused here. You don't know why he was hospitalized?

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Some people can shoot while their cat is eating, mine wouldn't let me when we first started, I had to wait until he was done. What is he doing when you try to shoot?

6. Verminator

Verminator New Member

He was hospitalized for dehydration because he'd been throwing up the day before. This is what led to the blood test that showed he's diabetic. I don't know what DKA or BG stand for and the vet hasn't shown me how to home test yet.

I'm sorry. I'm obviously doing this wrong.

7. Yong & Maury GA

No no, you're fine. We've just seen a few new members show up after a hospitalization, DKA = Diabetic Ketoacidosis. BG stands for Blood Glucose level.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad... We were all new at it once. Dka is when the cat has ketones in the blood. Bg stands for blood glucose.

Is your cat very skiddish or not like to be touched? Are you doing this alone or can someone help with holding him during the injection? Some find it easier to do while they are distracted eating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.