Diagnosed today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rebecca Thomas, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca Thomas

Rebecca Thomas Member

Hi my name is Becky and my cat Louie who is 9 1/2 was diagnosed this morning with diabetes. He's been acting odd for a few weeks, increased thirst (he has chronic pancreatitis so this was not initially a concern), increased urination, very quiet but with a voracious appetite. He's on a grain free diet because of the pancreatitus so diarrhea hadn't been an issue. Last week his back legs started to wobble and I knew what it was. He had a fructosamine blood test yesterday and the dreaded call from the vet came this morning. His BG is 18.8 mmol/l so he's going straight onto Caninsulin 1 unit twice a day from tomorrow. I'm quite level headed about these things having dealt proactively with CRF and chronic pancreatitis in previous cats so I've not quite lost the plot yet. I've given sub cutaneous injections before as well so not too worried about giving the insulin. It's nice to have a place to get support and information from people going through the same thing.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome, Becky! You sound very well prepared to take on this challenge. If you need help or have questions, posting on the main health forum will get you more attention. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Handsome boy you have!

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Rebecca Thomas

Rebecca Thomas Member

Thank you Kris I will do :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.