Diagnosed yesterday (12/13) and feeling scared

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SweetPea, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetPea

SweetPea New Member

My cat, Fatty Fat, was diagnosed yesterday with diabetes. She was brought to my sisters vet clinic to be put to sleep because she was too fat. My sister asked if she could be re-homed instead, and she came to live with me about four years ago.

Fatty peed on the floor over the weekend and I saw that she was drinking more than normal so I made an appointment. She had a bladder infection like I suspected, but they decided to check her blood sugar and found it to be 460. She weights 16lbs and is on a restricted diet and feeding times. She, however, only likes her kibble. I will need help switching her over to canned food UGH.

I talked with the vet and tech yesterday for about an hour. I am so confused based on what I read on here and what I told in haste. SO, I have given her last nights dose and the one this morning of ProZinc. Am I supposed to feed her first, then shot? I was also not given a glucose monitor so how do I know what her level is before I give her insulin? Seems crazy. Her next appointment is in two weeks where they want to do a curve. Is that necessary in the beginning? And then there are the costs! The appointment yesterday was over $400 and I can't keep that up. This is just so d*mn hard. Fatty is one of the best cats I've ever had. :(

Thank you in advance for feedback.

SP

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Fatty Fat is very fortunate that you came to the rescue. How sad to put a cat down just because it is 'too fat'. You will want to get a glucose monitor so that you will know what her BG is before giving insulin. The order is 1) test, 2) feed, 3) give shot. Curves are a good way to see the impact a dose of insulin is having once a cat has been on the dose for a few days; however, you should not have to go to the vet (and pay) for that. If you are willing to home test, you can do your own curves.

You will get a lot of support and advice here. Post any questions you have on the Main Health Forum.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You can do all her BG testing yourself. That will help keep fatty safer and save money. You don't need a special meter. Many here buy one at Walmart. You can buy an inexpensive meter for humans that has inexpensive strips. You will be using lots of strips. The brand a lot of people use is Relion. You will get more people to help if you post on the Health forum.

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Good tips from the others. We can help you with dosing, testing, and curves. You can do it all at home.

It's all scary at first. But believe me, you'll get used to it. Leo is now 2.5 years diabetic. His treatment is now just part of the daily routine.

SweetPea and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

:oops: Because the cat is too fat? Maybe it's just the pants.
    I'm on the way back to bed, not intellectually "all there" today but wanted to say welcome, this is the absolute best place to be.
    At a more appropriate time I'll show you what a fat cat is.
    28 pounds = two 12 pound turkeys and 4 pounds of stuffing. :woot:

JanetNJ and SweetPea like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Test, feed, shoot.

Testing at home is less expensive then testing at the vet. Go to Walmart and get

1. Relion micro or confirm meter (not Prime)
    2. Box of 100 extra test strips
    3. Box of 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds
    5. Neosporin ointment with pain relief

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.