Diagnosed yesterday and scared

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by cristi and Slash, Dec 31, 2017.

1. cristi and Slash

cristi and Slash New Member

I’m new here. My 5 1/2 year old boy was just diagnosed yesterday. I’m here to learn as much as possible and for support. Last night was a bad one. Approximately 4 hours after his first dose (2units) he became hypo and I was on the phone with the emergency vets. Slash is having a hard time eating. I took him to his regular vet this morning before the long weekend. They lowered his dose to 1 unit if he eats a little, 2units if he eats a lot. He ate about 1/4 of a can (most he’s eaten in days) I gave him his 1 unit and I’m petrified he’s going to go hypo again. When will he start feeling better?

Stephanie & Quintus likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be.

Two units is a high starting dose. Good for you for recognizing the signs and calling the vet. You just saved your cat's life.

Please post your concerns in the Main Health Forum and tell us a little more about Slash. What type of insulin, food, etc. We can help.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. How scary. Please stick to just 1 unit right now. 2 is way too much for a newly diagnosed cat. I have advice in a different thread for home testing supplies.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Scary start, but you have come to the right place. It will get better.

6. Myagi and Heidi

Myagi and Heidi Member

Welcome Cristi and Slash. :bighug::bighug: