Diagnosed yesterday. Lots to learn!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AndyPanda, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyPanda

AndyPanda New Member

Hi everyone! I'm Denise and my 7yo Andy was just dx'd. We live in Maryland, USA. I've been lurking here for a few hours and have picked up very useful info already.

We have started the 2 IU's of Lantus 2X/day, and I obediently purchased and began the Royal Canin Glycobalance food for him and his littermate brother George. Of course, they gobble up their little 1/4 c. and immediately tell me they enjoed the appetizer, and now they're ready for the entree. LOL (I'll use up this bag, and switch to something else later when I feel little more confident.)

I haven't yet begun bg testing, but plan to get that together very soon. I have a Precision Xtra meter and a bunch of expired test strips (5/2014). I may begin with that, at least to practice. But I guess I can't trust those numbers. I might buy the Relion Micro someone on here recommended, just because the strips are cheap.
    I have created Andy's spreadsheet, but there's nothing there yet... Thanks LOADS for that resource!!!

So, you all are giving us a good start by teaching me how to manage this and be a good advocate!

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

AndyPanda likes this.
  3. AndyPanda

AndyPanda New Member

thanks for the guidelines right up front like that!

I'll try to get the testing materials together to begin tomorrow. I'm seeing all of you say how important it is.

4. Lynn & Rupert

Lynn & Rupert Well-Known Member

Hi Denise, welcome to FDMB! You are in good hands here, there is so much great information and good people to help you when needed. You are off to a good start, best of luck to you and Andy!

AndyPanda likes this.
  5. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! You'll want to aim for low carb canned or raw food under 10%. You do not need expensive prescription food to manage your cat's diabetes.

Here is a handy nutritional chart for cat food: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

Home testing is a must. Not testing is akin to a human injecting him/herself with insulin without checking blood sugar levels first. There are lots of handy tips and videos on the home page and in this forum.

See Glucometer Notes in BJM's signature line above. It will come in handy.

AndyPanda likes this.
  6. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. We are glad you are here and will be happy to help in whatever ways we can. As you gather your supplies to begin home testing, I'd suggest a few things. 1. You will be getting your blood sample from Andy's ears. Don't worry it is not as awful for the cat as your imagination might suggest. There are very few pain receptors in the cat's ear. Help Andy get ready by touching his ears and work your way up to massaging his ears a little bit, give him a treat (low carb of course) and then let him go. You want him to think of you messing with his ears as a positive experience that involves yummy treats. 2. Get a little flashlight and use it to learn where the veins are in his ears. You will be aiming for the smaller ones along the edge of the ears. 3. Get a sock and put about a fourth of a cup of uncooked rice inside. Leave some wiggle room and tie it off with string. You will use this sock to heat up /massage Andy's ear so it will be easier to get a drop of blood for your test. Most of the trouble I had at first with getting that drop of blood was because the ear was too cold. Heat the sock for about 16 seconds in the microwave. Test the heat on your own wrist like you would a baby bottle before applying to Andy's ear. I found that massaging the ear using a warm sock works like a charm. I wish you well and please let us know what we can do to help. :)

AndyPanda and Zephyr's Brother like this.
  7. AndyPanda

AndyPanda New Member

Today so far I have tried twice unsuccessfully to do the testing, tried both ear and foot pad. Watched the youtube videos, massaged the ear with warm rice sock. DH and I are both still pretty squeamish about it, I guess. Have gotten a tiny drop from pawpad, but not enough for the meter. We're taking a little break for us all 3 to calm down before trying again.

Just remembered that on one video was the tip to hold the needle in place for "One kitty kitty" instead of pulling it right back. I'll try doing that next time....

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Very few of us get blood successfully on the first try! It will get easier.

What size gauge/lancet are you using?

A helpful tip is using an ointment such as neosporin or polysporin to bead up the blood. Be sure to use a very tiny amount with a q-tip; too much will cause an error message on the meter.

Be sure to use a kleenex or cosmetic pad to hold the ear firmly but gently in place to stop any bleeding after poking. I also like to apply a tiny amount of ointment after poking. Poking doesn't hurt or damage the cat's ears or paws.

You want to aim for the sweet spot, the area between the vein and the edge of the ear. Here's a picture in the first post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/

One post says to put the ointment on after the poking but you can do it during the poking. Again, you need to put a very tiny amount on. It's the only way I can get the blood to bead up on CJ's ear.

I put a damp warm terry cloth head band or small towel in a ziplock bag, test it on my arm and then rub it gently on CJ's ear to warm it up beforehand. You'll find what works best for you and your cat.

More home testing links: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    AndyPanda likes this.
  9. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

Hello and welcome. Bojangles and I are pretty new to this as well. Not even a week into the insulin. This forum is amazing and has many wonderful pet parents who provide lots of advice and all of the support you need. Someone posted a tip of vaseline or neosporin on the the ear - just a small strip along the edge to help the blood bead up instead of spreading into the fur. That tip has been a sanity saver for me. However, as I mentioned in a post on a different thread, I had one of "those" mornings. I tried and tried to get a blood drop (certain I'd set the lancet up the night before) and was almost in tears at the number of pokes - sure enough I had not set up the lancet after all. I've learned more often than not, this is more painful for me than it is for Bojangles. I've found many wonderful new friends who've helped me out so much in just a few days of postings. I'm so thankful that this is available to us all. I will be attempting to return a case of Purina DM cans as Bojangles doesn't care for it, so she's eating Fancy Feast pates.

Critter Mom, AndyPanda and Cat Ma like this.
  10. AndyPanda

AndyPanda New Member

Thanks so much to all of you for the loving welcomes as well as the valuable advice! Neosporin or Vaseline(just a wee bit!) on the edge of the ear to help the blood bead up instead of getting absorbed by the fur, position of the beveled tip of the lancet as well as the lancet gauge (I've currently got some Freestyle lancets, 28 gauge, will try to get some BD UltraFine 30 gauge ones next).
    We'll keep trying to get better at bg testing!
    I must say that Andy is being so sweet and patient with us. As is his littermate brother George, who is suffering through adjusting to the new diet along with his brother. :)

I'm trying to read through and absorb information on the Health threads. I'll try to ask any other questions in the appropriate threads there.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

The 28 gauge are the ones you want. The ultra fine are too small for beginner ears. The lower the number, the bigger the lancet.

AndyPanda likes this.
  12. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

You can also try the 26 gauges starting out if you don't have luck with the 28 gauges. You can also try poking twice in the same area with the 28 gauge.

The higher the gauge #, the thinner the needle and the longer it takes blood to come out. I have not had luck with the higher # gauges unless I poke the same area several times. But with practice, you'll get better and may find the higher # works for you. For now, it is best to stick with the lower gauge #'s.

I personally "free hand", meaning I don't use a lancet pen. I just use the gauge as it is easier for me to control and see where I poke.

Another handy tip is using a round cotton cosmetic pad and folding it over the ear while poking. That way you have have it handy to wipe off any blood.

Critter Mom and AndyPanda like this.
  13. AndyPanda

AndyPanda New Member

Oh, I get what you're all saying! I was thinking the finer ones would be sharper, but I see that you mean bigger lancet = bigger hole =more blood. I've been using a paper napkin or paper towel folded to hold under the ear, and fold over, if I ever get any blood to flow. I decided to "freehand" too. I might give it one more try this evening, otherwise I'll try again tomorrow AM.

Thank you again!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

The paper towel is fine. That is what I used for the first month and half.

Critter Mom and AndyPanda like this.
  15. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

We've all been in your shoes and understand how difficult it can be to absorb all the information in addition to poking the cat several times or more a day!! In spite of all the times we've hugged and poked Radar he is so patient and accepting of it all. He comes running when the microwave dings because the sock has been heated and then he jumps up onto the table ready for his hug. He even purrs now when we do the testing and licks my hand. I'm certain that he knows he feels better because of all the "weird human things" we do now. Hang in there. It really does get easier. :):cat::)

Critter Mom, Cat Ma and AndyPanda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.