Diagnosed yesterday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Allisyn, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allisyn

Allisyn New Member

My boy Romeo was diagnosed yesterday and I have no idea what's going on. He won't eat we think because of a UTI. I'm reading all this stuff that is different from what my vet said and now I'm freaking out! Are blood curves done by a vet needed in the beginning?

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Welcome to you and Romeo! So sorry about the diagnosis, but this is a great place! It is very overwhelming in the beginning, especially when you start reading info on here and it is completely different from what your vet says. I know I really struggled with that for a long time, but Sophie has now seen many vets and the reality is that most vets do not understand feline diabetes. I followed their advice for a long time and not only did it not help my girl, it ended up being very dangerous for her. In the end, following the advice from groups like these is what helped her into remission!

The problem with blood curves done at the vet is that stress from the vet can make Romeos’s blood sugar higher than normal, which can cause them to start him on a higher dose than he may actually need. UTIs can also cause the blood glucose to be higher than normal.

I know it’s very overwhelming, but there’s lots of great info on here to help! If you have specific questions or even just want general advice, posting on the main health forum will ensure that more people see the post and can help you :)

3. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

^^^ What Sarah & Soph said. I'm new here too! My vet told me nothing other than 2 units and get an expensive pet specific meter. I think he realizes by now that I am adept at using the internet. I think vets are better at diagnosing, but they have very little experience owning a diabetic cat. Than I came here and started reading and learning. Your comment about what the vet recommended and the info here being different is not uncommon.

Considering the wisdom is that your cats are less stressed at home and being stressed can cause increase in BG, doing it at home is OK. Also, you are likely to be doing your own curves at home periodically, at least until Romeo is on a stable pattern. I made a trip to Walmart for everything I needed to get started testing (meter, lancets, test strips, alcohol wipes) after reading some FAQs and posts here.

I would recommend getting testing kit, reading and then posting with Romeo's condition and asking for recommendations. The people here are amazing and are very responsive.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Allisyn and Romeo. This is the best place you never wanted to be, for information and support while you learn about effective diabetic treatment for Romeo.

Unfortunately, many vets are just not as educated in feline diabetes as we would like. But there are members here who have been managing feline diabetes for years, and have the knowledge and experience you can draw on.

There are three main components of effective treatment: diet, insulin therapy and blood sugar testing at home. If Romeo isn't eating that needs to be addressed right away, especially if you are already injecting insulin.

Please tell us what antibiotic/treatment vet has prescribed for the UTI, if that has been determined. Has vet taken a urine specimen or culture to determine if a UTI is present?

Also, the 4 U of Vetsulin as a starting dose is most likely too high. It's better to start low and work upward as needed. Please reconsider that dose, post and let us help you work on these issues. But, Romeo not eating is the greatest concern right now, and if you are injecting that big dose of insulin, you might be setting the stage for DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) which is a very serious condition and can be life threatening.

Testing Romeo's urine for ketones (with Ketostix that you can get at any pharmacy) is a good indicator if DKA is in the picture, and here is some information about that condition, just so you know.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

5. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Welcome Allisyn and Romeo. I'm new here, too, and can tell you that you will get a lot of help from this forum. It is overwhelming at first for everyone who learns that their cat is a diabetic. Like you, I was reading information here that was very different from what my vet had told me. That seems to be a common theme, but take heart, you are in the right place to get answers to your many questions and to get support when you need it. :cat: You have questions, you will get answers here.

Best of luck and good vibes to both you and Romeo.

6. Allisyn

Allisyn New Member

Romeo ended up with liver failure and wewe had to put him down. Thank you for your kind words!

7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

So very sorry to read this about Romeo. My deep sympathy on your loss. Peace and comfort in the coming days as you grieve and find a way to accept. Fly high and land softly, sweet Romeo.cat_wings>o

8. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

My condolences on the loss of Romeo.

9. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and you have my sincere condolences. So sad.

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful baby. I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

11. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss of Romeo. Hoping your pain lessens and evolves into loving memories soon :rb_icon:

12. Limekitty

Limekitty Member

So sorry for your loss of Romeo. May your memories of him heal your heavy heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.