Diagnosis for Martha!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ibdcat, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibdcat

ibdcat New Member

I was part of this group before but I think I got booted off, not sure what happened. Everything just disappeared.
    Just had to take Martha in earlier this week, she was very sick and could hardly walk because of hind legs neuropathy. Martha is indeed diabetic. BG was 384 and Fructosamine was 455.I will go out to the vet's tomorrow morning and get some insulin instruction and get her started on insulin. No idea what kind, dosage, or anything else except I know I'll have to give her two shots a day. He mentioned two kinds: PDI and Lantis--?? Praying we get the dosage and everything just right. I started her on oral B12 meth today, 1000 mcg. primarily for that awful neuropathy. She is hardly able to walk. Her Hematocrit was just under 28-- The B12 will help that too, won't it?
    Well, that's it in a nutshell. This is a whole new area for me, and I'd appreciate any advice, suggestions, comments--anything to help me find my way through the maze

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. The two insulins were likely Lantus, a human insulin and PZI, an insulin for animals. There is the ProZinc with is PZI and BCP PZI. There are also some other PZIs. The normal starting dose is usually 1 int twice daily.
    You should also learn how to home the Martha's BG using a human meter.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Either of those insulins would be fine. We suggest starting low (.5 to one unit) and going slow, raising the dose as your home tests indicate. The other part of this dance is food. We urge you to feed wet low carb food. See this website by a vet (www.catinfo.org)

Keep reading. Ask questions. We'd love to help you help your kitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.