diaherria

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roops, Jun 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roops

Roops Member

Roops has loose movements again this morning. While he never has been constipated, he has been loose since being diagnosed. I am not sure but thinking it is the switch in his food. Every time we tried to introduce new food or switch to low carb food this has happened.

This latest bout followed us feeding him IAMS Perfect Portion Grain Free, and Whiskas Perfect Portions. We limited (almost stopped) feeding him dry Whiskas kibble. That was a mistake. Within a short period he became loose again. Like within a day or two. We began giving less IAMS and introduced more Whiskas kibble mixing it with Purina DM. Still loose but getting some shape. Not so this morning.

We began giving him Fortiflora but think we will need more. Not sure if we have any left. We still have B12 serum but not sure if we have needles. I thought a shot might help him. I have heard it is good for IBD.

I try to limit seafood related foods since this always seems to make him loose. Long before he was diagnosed it did. Guess giving him the Mariner's Catch pate yesterday not a good idea.
    Maybe irritated him and gave him this morning's trouble. No more fishy stuff for him.

Poor baby is having a rough go of it. Not very talkative this morning. If you have any other suggestions that might be helpful please share. Not really sure what to do. Almost out of Purina DM and not sure we want to invest in more. While he will eat it, it always ended up causing him to become loosey goosey. How do you get their bs down and help him with the neuropathy when he struggles to adapt to new/better food.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin mixed into food to bulk up the fiber. Hope he feels better soon. FortiFlora can help too.

Roops and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  3. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Roops likes this.
  4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Make sure it is canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin works for both diarrhea and constipation.

When I buy Ia can, I will put the unused portion in an ice cube tray and freeze it. Then store it in a freezer bag or sealed container in the freezer.

Roops likes this.
  5. Roops

Roops Member

Thank you for this helpful information. We have a few fortiflora left. Think we need to keep it on hand.

6. Roops

Roops Member

How do you ensure it is just canned pumpkin. I have a can of E.D. Smith pure pumpkin but did not open it up. Thank you for the tip about storing it in a freezer bag. A very good idea. Do cats readily accept the taste and flavor of it. Cats can be such snoops. EDSmith.jpg

7. Roops

Roops Member

Roops is better this morning. We saw or thought we noticed improvement sometime late yesterday afternoon. He back 'talking' again. This morning he is talking, purring, swatting, and nipping gently at my hands. He is our Rupie. Our boy again. Despite being loosey goosey, he was always interested in eating. That never stopped. He never was sick to his stomach and for that we are thankful. But it got quite bad yesterday. We needed to clean him frequently. He did tried but I think he was wiped. Exhausted. Yesterday we began feeding him old food that has been tolerated in the past. Food he never had issues with. Our thoughts were to get nourishment or fluids in him, at least temporarily. But we know we cannot continue doing so. His diet must change for the better. Already I am noticing he is weeing more. I know it is too high in carbs. Today I will begin slowly introducing Friskies chicken pate and hope he will not have another set back. I will have to be more guarded in what he eats and ensure there is absolutely no fish in it. While we are not certain we believe it is or was a sensitivity to something. It is discouraging. Wanting to do the best for him and seeing him suffer. Tears were shed. I am also hesitant about giving him Zobaline. He had 2 doses already but the digestive issues began before we starting giving him the Zobaline. We still believe it was introducing new food too quickly. Or perhaps too much at once. IAMS Perfect Portion/Grain Free chicken. His system could not tolerate it. I am thinking the Mariner's Catch (Friskies) was the final nail on the coffin for him. Whitefish and Tuna has the same results. I am also considering cooking chicken for him, and trying to puree it. Whatever it takes. The diabetic dance. Waiting for more glucose strips...hopefully to be delivered soon.

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Glad he's feeling better. You could break the zobaline in half.

Roops likes this.
  9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

It usually will say on the label if is pie filling. Also look at the ingredients. If the only ingredient is pumpkin, you have the right can.

Roops likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.