? Diarrhea-alternative to Metronidazole?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sandscout, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandscout

sandscout Member

Hi again all!
    What alternative prescription medications are available to treat diarrhea besides Metronidazole? I am taking my kitty to the vet today for problems with diarrhea (going on day 4 today .)

Dr. recommended probiotics, which I ordered from1-800 Pet Meds, tho he said it can take a few days to see an effect. :nailbiting:
    I am not familiar with any prescription medications for diarrhea, and I do want to be prepared if Metronidazole USA recommended cuz we’ve had a bad reaction to it in the past .

Thanks for any wisdom you can share. :)

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Another medication that can be used is Tylosin. The IM vet prescribed it for my kitty when he was ill last month.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Esi, JeffJ and Becky & Baby Girl GA like this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have a cat with IBD who had constant diarrhea the first two years she was with me. She was so bad
    I eventually got to the point of considering euthanasia, she was so sick and debilitated. What finally stopped her diarrhea and ultimately saved her life was s. boulardii and SEB, used in conjunction with each other. We had been through metronidazole, probiotics, FortFlora - you name it, we'd tried it, and nothing worked. The s.boulardii and SEB stopped it in less than 10 days, and she is still diarrhea-free today. She will occasionally start to have a flare, I immediately begin the regimen again, and stop it in it's tracks.

Sylvie, jayla-n-Drevon, JeffJ and 4 others like this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

I should have thought of supplements and probiotics but got fixated on "medication". I'm glad Squalliesmom mentioned them. :)

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  6. sandscout

sandscout Member

Thank you all for your replies.
    Vet recommended Fortiflora also.
    Squallie’s Mom, where do you purchase the S. boulardii ??

7. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

@sandscout

I have not tried this probiotic, Florastor, but it contains S. boulardii. Maybe others have and can advise as to dosing and how well it worked for their kitties. It's over the counter. Walmart may sell it.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  8. sandscout

sandscout Member

Thanks BamaKittyMom - how did you administer it? It looks like it’s the capsule-form. Were you able to sprinkle it in their food with no problem?

9. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it. Hoping someone who has will chime in. I'm currently giving Bama Renew Life Ultra which is a probiotic that comes in a capsule that I open and pour a few tiny sprinkles into his pumpkin and stir with a bit of water. Bama doesn't have diarrhea; he has constipation. What he takes does not have S. boulardii. If you have Amazon Prime or don't mind waiting on shipping, this looks like a reasonably priced alternative. I have used the NOW brand for other supplements and believe it to be trustworthy.

10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Baby has been on transdermal metronidazole for 6 weeks & it isn’t helping. I absolutely hate to have to syringe feed her the seb & bolardii; but she will not eat it if it’s on the food. I will tell my vet about the tylosin as she wants to start her on steroids. She didn’t know about budesonide... I feel like I’m teaching my vet! Going on 3 months of diapoo! Thank you all for great suggestions & good luck to all!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. sandscout

sandscout Member

Becky, hi to you & Baby,
    Please let us know if you do try out the Budesonide, it’s been recommended to us as well.
    Good luck to you and Baby,
    :bighug:

12. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Hi! Thank you & I’ll let you know which route we’ve decided to take. I will try the tylosin if anything first; just because of the bg. She has lost a little weight so if it continues... ugh! Hoping Scout improves soon!

13. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Good article Kris. I sure don't like this statement in the article
    "Metronidazole is frequently used in GI cases, but long-term administration and potential side effects make it less desirable than other options. Metronidazole has been shown to cause DNA damage in vitro to feline lymphocytes."

"Florastor, but it contains S. boulardii."
    That is true. But I just read an article yesterday that Sarah (Pig's Mom) included in this thread.
    Sarah referenced this article, which said that Florastor has MOS which makes the product bitter to cats.

@Squalliesmom - can you tell me your source or brand for s.boulardii and SEB? Thx.

Our problem (at my home) is Little Dude got the squirts. I think it was from bird bath water though, and I resolved that by bleaching the birdbath and putting it out of LD's reach.

14. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

15. Kris & Teasel

I agree with you about that statement, Jeff. If liquipoo can be helped with something else or with probiotics I'd want to do that first.

JeffJ and Becky & Baby Girl GA like this.
  16. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

S boustdi has a emergency liquid poo stop
    I’m running out the door but I’m sure you can google it.
    SEB is good too

My Rico had literary water poo
    We tried pred m the poo was great in a day but went into heart failure after a few days.
    Budesonide has been working for him and heart ok.
    He was 17 when the liquid poo started
    They said he had 2 weeks
    He turned 20 in July. .
    I just have to b careful with fluids.
    FWIW they prescribed 1 mg a day
    I only give him 1/2 mg and his poo is good he can have fluids and no fd which he developed on mg.
    We also tried the poo pills which did work but at his age a flare would b traumatic.

JeffJ likes this.
  17. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

They are both NOW brand from Amazon. I bought that brand because it had nothing else added in.

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Saccharo...F8&qid=1534526562&sr=8-6&keywords=s.boulardii

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Slippery...6630&sr=1-5&keywords=slippery elm bark powder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.