⚠Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Brittany & Liberty, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Brittany & Liberty

Brittany & Liberty Member

So liberty dropped low around 60 last night but we managed to bring it back up and he's had decent numbers today and acting fine, eating and drinking normally and we didn't give a shot this morning because he was only at 116 after the night before. But everytime he's gone to the bathroom today he's had diarrhea. Any help on this? Thanks!

2. Cathie and Shaak Ti

Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

you could try some pumpkin (canned plain pumpkin with nothing added) mixed in his food. I recently had the same problem with Shaak. I tried two different pro biotics with SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII in them and it did not work. Once I added the pumpkin to her food the diarrhea cleared up real quick. Just like one Tablespoon twice a day is what I gave her.

3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Brittany, check out Slippery Elm Bark....best is organic at health food stores but can be purchased in capsules at Wal Mart til you could get the other. I mix 1/8. -1/4 teaspoon in small amount of water and syringe but can also be mixed in with food. Slippery Elm will calm the whole GI tract . It is amazing stuff. Have used it for years in ourselves and animals alike .

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Slippery Elm Bark is great, I use it for my girl with IBD. Just be careful not to give it within two hours of any other oral meds as it affects absorption. :)

Beth 73 likes this.
  5. Brittany & Liberty

Ok thank you! Does it effect the blood sugar level at all?

6. Beth 73

No , not at all ....I am currently giving it to Elmo twice a day. Only stipulation is to give it one hour before or after any oral meds.in case it's excellent coating might interfere with absorption. Sometimes I think it's magical :)

7. Beth 73

As Squallies mom said, two hours is even better.

8. Brittany & Liberty

Ok thank you!

9. Beth 73

You are so welcome :bighug:. Slippery Elm is and always has been a trusted friend :) . As I said , the best kind is at health food stores but in a pinch the capsules are available at WalMart . It has a very distinctive flavor and that is why I choose to mix it in a bit of water and syringe it rather than mix in food. Will be anxious to hear how Liberty does on it :):):):):):bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I mix it in my kitty's food, because she is almost impossible to syringe. I use a little less than 1/8 tsp at breakfast and dinner. I buy the Now brand loose powder from Amazon.com. Once her diarrhea has cleared up I stop the SEB and give her probiotics and s boulardii; I'm concerned with poor nutrient absorption with long-term use of SEB.