? Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GinnyBarr, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

My kitty started Lantus on monday and a strictly wet food only diet. She woke up this morning with diarrhea. Do you think it's the change? Should I be concerned? She's eating and drinking and purring. Should I start Fortiflora? Ty.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Ginny, and welcome! Changing a cat's diet, especially if it's done quickly, can definitely cause diarrhea and stomach upset. Fortiflora and other probiotics are great help, but they require at least a week to start working, and are best when used regularly to prevent diarrhea. There are a few other things that can help in the short term; hopefully someone with more knowledge of those will chime in soon. As long as your kitty is eating, drinking, eliminating, and otherwise seems fine, she's probably okay, but do keep an eye out for dehydration or changes in any of those things.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Lillie

Lillie Member

My cat has always gotten diarrhea if I switched foods quickly. Especially if I went from a dry to a canned. His vet told me to gradually add small amounts of the new food to his old food slowly over at least a weeks time. My cat has IBD so it may be different for cats who don't have this condition. I would switch at a slow pace anyway though just in case.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I add about 1/8 of teaspoon of pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin no spices added) 2x a day. It's kept phoebe regular after 10 years of not normal poops. Now she poops 2x a day, nice soft formed poos!

Yong & Maury GA and Squalliesmom like this.
  5. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Thank you. Yes. She seems fine otherwise. She is making frequent trips and only a little comes out.

6. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

That's gives me some relief. Ty.

7. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I've actually heard of this with dogs. Did she eat it right away? Or did it take some getting used to?

8. Phoebes (GA)

I put it in her favorite fancy feast wet food and she gobbled it up. I make sure to warm both the pumpkin and food in microwave so it's basically the same texture. And with it being such a small amount I just stir and stir until it's mixed good.

9. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Cool. Ty.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  10. Phoebes (GA)

Your welcome, good luck with your furbaby ;)

GinnyBarr likes this.
  11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just don't think "more is better" because pumpkin can act as a natural laxative as well ;)

Djamila likes this.
  12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yup, learned that one the hard way!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.