Did i do the wrong thing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maryjoandsmokie, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Fluffy was given depo-hydrocortisone yesterday for arthritis. He also got his boosters.
    I'm not sure why he is feeling so bad. All he is doing is just laying on the sofa.
    He has eaten very little and just lays there and wags his tail when i talk to him.
    What could i give him for pain? The Vet wanted to give him metacam yesterday also but i
    refused that. I thought the cortisone would help by now.
    Did i do wrong by giving cortisone?
    I started him on the adaquin injections but that will not help him just yet.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

It may be more the boosters given than the steroid. I usually split booster shots and only allow one at a time. Hopefully things will improve by morning. I wouldn't give anything for pain.....don't know that he is in pain.....might just be feeling a little down.

3. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thank you for your reply. I think Fluffy is still in pain from the arthritis just from the way he moves he acts like he is hurting so bad. He has arthritis from the crushed hips when he was a few months old. He was taking dasaquin until a few days ago when i just couldn't get it down him anymore. It did seem to help. I should have insisted on more med for pain at the vets yesterday. Like you said a lot of pain could be from the boosters. He is feeling
    very very bad.

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

> He was taking dasaquin until a few days ago when i just couldn't get it down him anymore.

Were you pilling him, or did you open the capsules and mix it in his food? I did that with a lot of Gwyn's meds and it worked fine.

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Any chance of putting the dasaquin in some baby food?

6. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried mixing dasaquin in every kind of cat food and
    also tuna and he will eat a little and then won't anymore. He has been pilled and he will
    get that capsule back up and spit it out. I did not think about the baby food and i will get
    some today and try that! I'm glad you mentioned that. I will keep working on getting the dasaquin down him and make sure he gets it.

Fluffy had a rough night and i may never give the boosters again (except the rabies)
    because that was too hard on him. He wasn't even able to get up on the sofa last night and i had to help him.

Thanks for your help.

7. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

I use pill pockets for B.K. but she won't eat one until I put 1/2 of a Whisker's Lickin treat on top. These cats and their funny ways :roll:

8. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Maryjo,

So sorry to hear that Fluffy is not doing well. He sounds like my Ketchie. I put a small stool next to my sofa so she can get up easier onto the sofa. She cannot jump anymore without great difficulty. She will be 15 on August 1st, but she also has other health issues.

Have you tried a little stool or anything to help poor Fluffy get up onto the sofa?

How are you yourself feeling? Hope everything went well on the 19th?

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

9. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Maybe try transdermal meds? Not everything can be made into a transdermal gel, and it can be very expensive because it needs to be compounded. But sometimes it's the only way.

The gel comes pre-mesasured and is rubbed into the inside of the ears. The residue has to be cleaned off regularly. I used this method to give Maggie her heart med.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.