Did I give my cat too much subQ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

I am supposed to give my kidney insufficiency cat 100 ml of subQ twice a week. I just gave her 175ml of sub Q at one time on accident. Did I hurt her? I think I remember the vet saying you couldn't really overdo it with subQ but i;m not sure. Please Help!

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Sara, she should be okay but please be very carefull with the amount next time. I never have given over 150 mls at one time and even then we were really pushing it per the vet. If a cat needs more than that, it is always better to split the amount needed into a b.i.d.

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Hi there. That is quite a lot at one sitting. I don't think we've ever given more than 100 mls in one sitting, and it took us some time to build up to that. My guess is unless kitty has a heart condition, she'll probably be alright (wouldn't recommend repeating with this much, though). See this link for signs of overhydration, so you can recognize when it becomes an emergency.

In future, you can mark the bag with sticky tape for 100 mls, or however much you wish to give, so you'll easily see when it reaches the amount.

I notice you're giving twice a week - see also this link on frequency of SQs. If kitty is not difficult to give fluids to, why not ask vet if it's more appropriate to give smaller amounts more often? How advanced is her kidney disease? See also when to use SQ fluids.

4. Sara and Buttercup

thanks. i really messed up. it was running so good and she was so quiet i guess i just over did it. will not happen again. I noticed that the fluid pack that was hanging around on her shoulder moved down and then there is some that has migrated around to the front of her chest. is that normal? thanks for the help.

5. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, having a pouch under the skin, down the leg or other areas is totally normal. As long as her heart is ok, she should be fine..but that is alot. Merlyn had a heart condition but did not do well at all without the fluids for his kidneys so it was a balancing act. for a while I was giving 50mls 2x a day because he couldnt handle even 100 at once.

6. Sara and Buttercup

thanks. i don't think she has a heart condition. her bpwas high 170 during dental but vet said it was due to stress. i really screwed up. won't do it again. hopefully she be ok. thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.