Did I increase too soon?....

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan & Andy, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Susan & Andy

Susan & Andy New Member

Hello All :)
    It seems like things were getting better, lows in the 200s (a few in the high 100s), and now I'm consistently getting readings in the 300s. Andy's spreadsheet is up to date. Did I increase the dose of Lantus too fast? I was going to hold the 2U for a while longer, but this morning he was up even more.
    What should I do?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Good morning,

If you could please, so that everyone would know that this is a new post: Revise your title so it's like this: '?' (use the question mark dropdown list on the left hand side) it attracts attention to your question. Then 3/15 Andy AMPS ### (whatever his number was this morning)...then folks will know who the cat is and what the question is and you'll get some responses more quickly that way.

I'm not sure which protocol you're using - if you could add that to your signature or at the top of your SS? TR or SLGS? It makes a difference on how often you change the dosing - and your ability to monitor after increases...

Thank you!! :)

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

How long you hold a dose depends on which approach to dosing you are planning on using. With Start Low Go Slow (SLGS), you hold the dose for a week. With Tight Regulation (TR), you hold the dose for 3 days/6 cycles. Of course, this isn't the case if a dose reduction is indicated. Also, typically, dose increases are in 0.25u increments. With TR, if nadirs are overall above 300, you can increase by 0.5u.

From the above standpoint, there are a few issues. You increased from 1.0u to 1.5u and then increased again from 1.5u to 2.0u after holding the dose for only one day. Because Lantus is a depot-type of insulin, the dose needs several cycles to stabilize. If you make quick dose changes, the depot doesn't adjust and numbers tend to be wonky. In addition, I would have coached you to increase by 0.25u and not 0.5u. Increasing by a smaller amount means you don't inadvertently whizz past what would be a good dose.

Given where you are in the process, I'd suggest reading over the sticky on the dosing methods and choose which one you think will work best for you and Andy. The info on the methods will give you guidelines on when and how much to increase. And, of course, we're all here to lend you a hand. If you opt for TR, you will be able to adjust the dose sooner compared to SLGS. I would not suggest that you reduce the dose. You really can't compare what has happened a few weeks ago to the present. Insulin needs can change and what was a good dose before, may not be such a good dose now.

4. Andy’s Mom

Andy’s Mom New Member

Gosh, there is sooooo much I still need to learn Thank you so much for your suggestions, answers, and patience. I will start at the top and follow your advice.

5. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

did you create a second profile by mistake?? :)

6. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

7. Susan & Andy

Susan & Andy New Member

Hi Gill,
    Thank you and everyone else for trying to help me. To my knowledge I haven't duplicated anything. I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "profile". I filled in the "about me" information, and the "signature" with information about Andy. If there is something I need to straighten out with my membership/account, please tell me! I took some time off work this week to try and get Andy switched to Lantus...... which has gone rather smoothly compared to what I had envisioned. This message board is wonderful..... so much information, and so many helpful people. I have spent hours and hours trying to read and learn. However, the more I read, the more I realize I don't know! Everyone's help and patience is greatly appreciated :)

8. Susan & Andy

Susan & Andy New Member

Oh! Now I see what you meant! I have no idea what happened with that. ????? Seems like I may have used that name first, then before I ever posted the first time, I went to the section and changed the name to Susan & Andy. I'm not sure how it allowed me to post with both names???? I don't have a second log in or "account".
    Is there an administrator that would be able to look and make sure I am not in the system twice?

Gill & George likes this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey and Welcome to the Lantus forum. Reading all the stickies will help you a lot as will reading others post and the comments and suggestion other give them. Keep posting and keep asking questions as that is how we all learned. :)