Didn't test just yet...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stephanie Montgomery, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanie Montgomery

Stephanie Montgomery Member

Hi I didn't test just yet but I am going to do this over the next day or 2. He's not starting insulin until Monday but we are testing in the office with both my meter and the vets. I have to admit I am a mess about doing this!!! If it's too much information I get so overwhelmed. And reading drives me crazy. I will do whatever it takes to help Tobey get through the this. He's fine and not showing any signs just lays on the tile in my bathroom now versus his cat bed. But less urine in the box and less water consumption. I tried to read my meter directions and it just made me more overwhelemed. And the fact my vet calls testing each time before a shot "over kill" and risky to change doses like that based on readings is confusing me. I guess I won't tell her what I'm doing then?

2. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

I would be wary of adjusting the doses myself. How much is she advising you to give? I think testing before each shot is a good idea so you can track her levels. What was his level at this last vet visit?

All the information is driving me crazy as well, so I'm just trying to absorb as much as I can and make my best judgment on things. While I wanted to wait and test her a while before purchasing insulin, I went ahead and took the plunge. I assume she'll need it for me to really get her levels under control quickly. Of course I have to wait for my Rx to get to 1800PetMeds and then for them to ship it to me. I did get a script from my vet for ProZinc since its less costly than the Lantus she originally prescribed me. I read and read and read before making that decision.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Treating a diabetic cat included testing BG at home can be intimidating at first. It does get easier with time.
    I test my insulin-dependent diabetic cats before each shot and periodically between shots. They really do not mind that much. I tested/treated my Patches for almost 10 years before she had a stroke.
    Here is a link to home testing blood sugar http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

What insulinis the vet planning to use? Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.

Many of us (not me, I use Numbers on my iPad) record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Where are you located generally? Maybe someone is near yo and can help teaching you home testing.

4. Stephanie Montgomery

Yes my vet and me found that Prozinc is her 2nd fave choice for insulin behind Lantus. I got mine at Costco for $130. Just made mistake of buying their 100u syringes which I'm going to be returning. Here are Tobey's lab results attached to show all his levels.

Attached Files:

5. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

That's around what I'm paying for mine as well. Regarding the testing before shooting, from what I've read it's important so that you can 1. track the levels and 2. make sure that levels don't get too low due to the diet change plus insulin. If the levels are already low, you may not want to dose, or give a lesser dose. This is just from all the stuff I've been reading over and over...

6. Stephanie Montgomery

Exact what I took away from it and I will go ahead and start testing his levels. I will try tonight if I have it in me. Of course I'll test soon but maybe this weekend when have more time however in meantime I am watching him closely no matter what. He has been a lot better lately. I usually feed dinner to the cats right after I walk in the door from work around 6 or 7. What time should I test him after eating dinner? And for breakfast i have to feed them as soon as I wake up or else they go crazy and it's chaotic. Causes him stress if I don't feed right away. So need to know how long after breakfast to test as well since these are the only times during the week I can test while at work. Are you testing 2 times a dayear yet?

7. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

I haven't gotten my AlphaTrak yet, won't til early next week. She seems to be doing better as well though with the diet change. I think you would actually want to test them before feeding, since feeding will increase the levels. My plan, once I have my pet meter and insulin, is to test, feed, then dose while she eats. She LOVES her food so I don't think she'll notice what I'm doing. :)

8. Stephanie Montgomery

I think I'm going to try this if you don't mind maybe along with you and we can help each other and let know how it goes and what you did. Let me know if you would think that is a good idea.

9. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

Absolutely! :cat:

10. Stephanie Montgomery

Great! Let me know when you start. My vet and me decided Monday. But can work around this.

11. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

I would get started as soon as you can. I know my meter isn't coming in until Tuesday, and I'm not sure when would be best to start the insulin, since I should be there to monitor her and I work during the week. Might start the insulin on a weekday evening that way I can check her levels some hours after that. Hate the idea of dosing and leaving the next AM though when I haven't dealt with this stuff before... :(

12. Stephanie Montgomery

Same here. I just dont know what to do!

13. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

We'll figure it out :) I already feel a little better just having ordered the ProZinc, and that she's not drinking all water in sight and filling up the litter box!

14. Stephanie Montgomery

Same exact way I feel. I think we're in same boat here! My prozinc is in the fridge right now. Where'd you get your needles?

15. Stephanie Montgomery

Using prozinc and I'm in Houston, Texas area

16. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

17. Stephanie Montgomery

Do you know if it's u100 or u40? You're vethe will know. Costco gave me u100 I can't use them.

18. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

ProZinc only uses u40 from what I've seen.

19. Stephanie Montgomery

Same as I heard just made mistake buying guide these.

20. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

Easy enough to do with the overload of information we're getting!

21. Stephanie Montgomery

22. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

You are exactly correct - test, feed, then shoot is the correct sequence of events. When you test after feeding you get numbers that are influenced by the food; you need numbers with no outside influence to determine if it is even safe to shoot, or if you need to change dose, etc. You should test at least twice a day (AM before feeding and PM before feeding) prior to shooting, and if you can get in any tests during the cycle as well, so much the better. This is the best way to see how the insulin is affecting you kitty, and how to keep her safe. :)

(I shoot while my guy is eating, and he never pays any attention to what I'm doing, just keeps his nose buried in the food dish, lol!)

Fluffy Face likes this.
  23. Wulfwin

Wulfwin Member

ProZinc is a U40 insulin (that refers to the strength of the insulin - for U40 insulins, there's 40 "units" of insulin per ml; U100 insulins, like Lantus, have 100 "units" per ml). It is possible to use U100 syringes with a U40 insulin, you would just need to convert the dose (see this conversion chart). The nice thing about using U100 syringes, is that you can give finer doses more reliably and accurately if needed (for instance, with my Rain I was only giving her 0.1 unit of ProZinc at times - a dose that would have been impossible to accurately measure on a U40 syringe unless I used digital calipers). Doing the conversion can seem daunting, especially in the beginning, and you may never need to do such fine doses, so I wouldn't worry about it now. I would suggest getting insulin syringes with half-unit markings if you can though.

I know testing seems very overwhelming, especially when you're still trying to absorb everything else that comes with a new diagnosis. As for "over-kill" with testing before each dose, I usually just think of what I read from one member on here (can't remember who off hand) - if you had a diabetic child, would a pediatrician suggest blindly shooting an insulin dose without checking glucose levels? There's plenty of people who do with their cats (though I suspect most don't end up on this forum), but for me personally it's not something I would do. Blood glucose levels aren't static. Lots of things affect them (appetite, carb content of food, stress, dental disease, other underlying illnesses, etc.). Testing helps ensure that insulin is given in a safe manner.

It's also important to try to get test readings mid-way through the insulin cycle, around the time of peak insulin efficiency to determine the "nadir" or lowest point of the blood glucose (for ProZinc, this is typically around 5-7 hours post insulin shot). This helps show how the insulin is working in your cat's body, and if the blood glucose is going too low, staying high, or showing a nice gentle curve (think of a smile). The weekends are a good time to try to get some mid-cycle readings if work or other commitments prevent it during the week.

Bottom line, take a deep breath and try to relax. You CAN do this. Start with baby steps. It's just a matter of figuring out what works best for you and your cat.

Fluffy Face likes this.
  24. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

Thank you Wulfwin. The first weekend I have all my stuff ready I am going to monitor her and test mid-cycle as well as before the doses, of course. Very curious to see what her levels will be by then with the diet change to wet food.

Stephanie Montgomery likes this.
  25. Stephanie Montgomery

Tobey is eating right now would it be ok if I tested him about 2 hours after he eats?

26. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

ANY test you can get is a good test....the only time we don't want them to eat is for the 2 hours immediately before the Pre-shot tests so you get a Pre-shot test result that's not influenced by food....that tells us if it's safe to give insulin at all!

After the Pre-shot test, you feed/shoot.....and then any time you can get tests after that is great! There's no such thing as too much data!

27. Stephanie Montgomery

Ok thanks so much. As of now I am still waiting to be ready for the test. Tobey still doing great and on Tiki cat chicken, soon adding in Weruva chicken. All cats on it now but I have to be money conscious too. Trying to get a easy feeding routine down as I am so busy with working and 2 daughters. I know I can do it. My neighbor is coming over tomorrow evening to help me do a test. Monday is my vet appointment for getting insulin and syringes know how. I will not shoot before I test. I'll report it for y'all. Thanks again!

28. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Stephanie, it will be good to get started testing now, that way you'll be good at it by Monday when you start insulin. It's more stressful for you and Tobey to start everything at the same time.

29. Stephanie Montgomery

Thank you. I am going to break down and do this tonight when I get home before I feed him. Problem is he's going to be very excited to eat. Can I test him as he's eating? Go get to be hard to keep him still while he's thinking of getting fed. Usual routine when I walk in the door. Or....I can just feed them all when I get home, wait a couple hours then test. What you think?

Another thing, I am confused about how to use all the pieces that came in the Relion Confirm kit. Lancing device, strips, and oh yeah, no battery came with my tester. Lol!

30. Sharon14

Are you sure there's no battery?! If there's not, you'll have to get one, They're very cheap. Test him just after he eats, he'll be calmer and right now you're just learning how to do it, so calm is good. I don't use the lancing device, I just hold the lancet and poke. Others do use it though, so maybe they can tell you about it.

31. Stephanie Montgomery

How do you know how deep to push it?is don't want to go all the way through that little thin flap of skin.

32. Larry and Kitties

On a new cat I always set the lancet pen to the deepest setting and reduce as necessary. Firly backup the back of the ear where you poke. I use a cotton cosmetic pad and then fold it around the ear and press to help prevent bruising.

All the meters I have purchased came with batteries. However, they usually have a plastic strip in the battery compartment you have to pull out so the battery makes contact with the contacts in the meter. That is to prevent the battery from discharging during shipment/storage.

33. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

I didn't use a lancing device for my 1 test either. Just a quick poke with the lancet that is enough to get a tiny drop of blood. I've seen suggestions to hold a rag or something on the other side of the ear from where you are going to poke so you can place your finger on the other side to hold steady.

34. Stephanie Montgomery

It's like ear piercing to me. Sounds awfully stressful. I guess I just need the vet to show me or my neighbor. Videos too. I'll figure it out. I think me just trying too much to think about it is causing more stress than it really is.
    My battery compartment was empty when I opened it.

35. Stephanie Montgomery

Are you going all the way through the ear? To me it's hard to tell just how deep you're going in such a thin ponce of skin.

36. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

Not all the way through. The lancet is super tiny, so you don't need to poke too far. I was stressing too much about it too, warming up a rag to put on her ear and stuff...then my boyfriend said JUST DO IT, and I did, lol.

Sharon14 likes this.
  37. Sharon14

Have you watched the videos? You need to take a deep breath, remember you're doing this to help Tobey and the sooner you get started, the better. I know I was terrified the first time I tested Colin, and it took me a few tries to get it right, but now it's a routine part of our lives and he actually goes to our testing chair and waits for me every morning. You'll get there too.

38. Stephanie Montgomery

Avoid the vein right?

39. Stephanie Montgomery

I hope to get to that point. I sure do hate the conflict between my vet and me about testing daily before shooting.

40. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

Not the vein, but the capillary area next to it.

41. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

42. Stephanie Montgomery

Tested a Tobey, not given any insulin yet but going to try tonight or tomorrow. Very nervous. Just found out my other 2 year old cat has a UTI. Just so much stress it's so tough to handle. At vet Tobey was tested aND had a 439 BG. Super high. So I can't wait any more he needs his insulin now. I am fine with injecting but the most part I hate is just poking his ear every dayear although vet said it's not necessary. Hate being on the fence!

43. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Just remind yourself that the testing is to make Tobey better. After a while he will come to you. He will learn that after the test, he gets to eat. Soon he will feel so much better.

44. Stephanie Montgomery

How do you manage to keep her food seperate from your other cats and or dogs food? I work full time so I can't be there and don't have a way to seperate them while I'm at work. While I get ready for work and get my kids up and dressed, I try to feed Tobey in my small downstairs bathroom while the others eat their food but my other cats don't finish their food so I have to pull it before I leave for the day. I hate doing this to them. It's like I'm creating more of a fire since Tobey was diagnosed. Because I switched them all to canned food from dry blue buffalo, now my 2 year old cat Ryder has UTI. I'm not sure how he got it.

45. Callie & Patches

We feed each animal in a separate room except the two dogs. They get fed in the living room while having their leaches tied to different table legs. Everyone has learned to eat up before we pick up their food. We feed everyone early so we have plenty of time. I feed the dogs, then test and feed Callie while DH feeds the other 3 cats. Since we are both retired, it is easy for us.

46. Sharon14

47. Stephanie Montgomery

Probably was stress. My boyfriend doesn't like him. He runs everyone boyfriend comes around.

48. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

My insulin was just delivered today. Not starting it until the weekend though so I can be there to monitor her. Will let you know how it goes.

The food separation issue is a tough one. Serena, the one diagnosed, will eat up whatever I put in front of her and then move on to her sister's bowl since she never finishes her. I'm hoping her sister will learn soon that she needs to eat up - snooze you lose! I feed them in different rooms, but its a one bedroom apartment, so you don't have to go very far to find the other bowl. I just purchased an automatic feeder than can accommodate wet food, 'cause having to feed them every evening is tough if I want to go out or stay at my boyfriend's for the night. With that I'm concerned that Serena will be a bully and I won't be there to make sure her sister eats.

Good news is that I THINK Serena has put on a little weight (she'd lost half her weight from the diabetes) and her coat seems softer. She isn't drinking from every water source she finds and the litter box has been much more manageable.

49. Stephanie Montgomery

That's great news. You'll figure it out. We both will!

50. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi Stephanie, what you can do is as soon as you get up test Tobey than feed him and the other cats/dogs (try keeping an eye on Tobey of you feed him next to the other cats, best is to separate him a little bit) and then give him his shot.

Or you can get a timerfeed machine with a chip in it (they are expensive though) but that seems to do the trick for some people on here.

And feed on the same times because that will keep them all in a routine so they know what time they get fed and they eat there bowl empty on those times. After they have eaten get the bowls away until you come home again and give them food on the routine time.

My Minnie (not diabetic) is also used to the routine of eating on a curtained time just because Baco needed to eat on curtained times because of the test and shot moments.

At first it’s hard for the other kitties but after they learn that the food is out there for them and then pulled away they will ‘learn’ that they need to finish it and eat on curtained times.

51. Stephanie Montgomery

Did you start your insulin?

52. Stephanie Montgomery

Yes I am actually already putting him up in the small downstairs bathroom while he eats and other cats are around the corner eating theirs. The food is an issue right now. I wasted buying Weruva chicken (canned shredded chicken basically) because none of the cats like it much. So rushed to store to get fancy feast for Tobey but yet he gets sick and throws up from it and because sudden food change. I hate fancy feast. My other cats want to eat his fancy feast but I'm making them eat dry for now. I'm just going to go buy what ever Tobey likes. He's losing more weight and not getting enough calories. I may switch to kitten food or raw freeze dried. Need to figure out something quick!

53. Stephanie Montgomery

Oh and I am about to start testing but as of 2 days ago he was at 439. And tomorrow night will give his 1st shot. My vet is still wary on testing and adjusting based on the readings. She said to just test if I notice anything with him. But we will do the curves in 2 weeks after starting insulin.

54. Sharon14

Stephanie, you can test your cat. You don't need your vets permission, it will help keep him safe. If you don't want to adjust his dose on your own, that's fine, but you'll have the data to show your vet so she can make a more informed decision about Tobey's dose. My vet loved the spreadsheet!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  55. Stephanie Montgomery

Ok, I'll do it. I need to download the spreadsheet from my PC. Can't do it from the phone.

56. Elle & Squeak (GA)

Elle & Squeak (GA) Member

I've been feeding Tiki Cat chicken and am now trying out one of the Weruva chicken flavours. When I was transitioning Squeak onto the Tiki, she really seemed to like it, but once I got her to 100% Tiki, she was turning her nose up at it. I've found that adding just a bit of pate food into her meal, maybe a 1/2 tbsp, and mixing well, really does the trick. If your cats love Fancy Feast, having just a bit in the Tiki or Weruva might be enough to motivate them to eat it - I know it's worked well for us!

57. Stephanie Montgomery

Does your wellness core wet have a lot of carbs?

58. Sharon14

Wet is good, except for the indoor and salmon formulas. The dry core original is too high for diabetics, but relatively low and good for nondiabetic kibble addicts.

59. Stephanie Montgomery

Ok so any chicken flavor wellness is good.

60. Sharon14

Core chicken is 8
    Wellness grain free chicken is 4
    According to Dr Lisa's food chart

61. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Stephanie, I want cheer you on. My vet told me to test if Smokey was "off". So I didn't test. Then dry food was cut out cold turkey and still not testing. I didn't know about this site. Well Smokey went down to 32 one night and I only caught it because he didn't come out to eat. If I had gone to bed he might have not made it through the night. It is something we will never know and haunts me. Now I test, I don't want that to ever happen again.

You normally test, feed, shoot all within 15 minutes (except if using Vetsulin). Always try to test before each shot, you want to make sure it is safe to give insulin.

Your vet doesn't have to know right away. My vet only had me going in every 6 weeks for a glucose check. Now the doctor will call me if I haven't sent my ss to him every 2 weeks.

Sharon14 likes this.
  62. Stephanie Montgomery

Thank you...I need cheering on. I'm very depressed about this. I hate poking him but I will do it. And I promise to set up my signature soon. I'm going to keep going forward. I will test today, but do they want to give insulin until Thursday (tmrw night) since I'm off Friday and feel more comfortable so I can be home longer when he starts the shots. I will get my routine and do all yall have told me. I look forward to it and so glad I found this site! I want to get all 4 of my cats on a good food routine. The balance has been complately turned upside down since Tobey was diagnosed last month.

63. Sharon14

It is hectic at first, but you will find a routine that works for you and your kitties. The first shots I gave Colin, I followed him around worried, as soon as I started testing that fear eased because I knew what was going on inside him. This site is a life saver!

JanetNJ and Ruby&Baco like this.
  64. Stephanie Montgomery

Send me a spreadsheet and example if you can.

65. Sharon14

66. Olive & Paula

It will get easier once you have your routine down. For example of spreadsheet, most of us have one in our signature. Just click on the link and that poster's ss will open.

67. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

Not until this weekend when I have an entire day to monitor her.

68. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If you would like me to do the SS for you, please just send me a private message (PM). It will take me less than a minute to do it and post it for you.

To send me a PM, pls click on "Marje and Gracie" under Gracie's photo at your left and then click on "start a conversation". I'm happy to do it for you!

69. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Add me to the I was so scared to test at first but crew (and my vet actually told me I needed too with a lecture at the 2 week check up because I didn't test with the first 2 shots.) Now I can't microwave anything without Fern coming to his testing spot because there maybe a treat. (I warm a rice sock for 15 seconds in the microwave to warm his ears when I test.)

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  70. Stephanie Montgomery

I'm doing same starting Friday

71. Olive & Paula

Wow, your vet lectured you TO home test, that's a first. Funny about the microwave.

72. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

:woot::woot::woot:!!!

73. Stephanie Montgomery

You do this to help with pain but also bruising and blood is easier to draw then? How long do you microwave and how long to press on the ear?

74. Callie & Patches

My vet loved the spreadsheet also. She wants all her diabetic cat patients to have one.

Sharon14 likes this.
  75. Stephanie Montgomery

So neither of you decidedo to make your own dose change without telling your vet? Did your vet approve of you doing so?

76. Larry and Kitties

I was a little hesitant at first 15 years ago about changing dose without vet input but I never asked my vets ( I use two practices with different vets now). I only relied on advice from this board and my judgement. I do periodically inform my vets about how my diabetic cats are doing when then go to their vet appoints and in between their vet appointments when my other animals have appointments.
    At first I about weekly sent my vet a graph of BGs that the software from my One Touch meter generated. After a short while based on good results my vet did not want to get the graphs anymore.

77. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

15-20 seconds. Longer = a burning sock.

78. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I've changed dose without vet advise. Mostly it has been in the downward trend. I would have been more hesitant at first but now I feel I can changes without them. I understand how my insulin affects fern after 6 months pretty well.

79. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I just shared the ss with my vet today and she thought it was great and really helpful!!!!

So so GREATFUL for this site.

Olive & Paula likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.