Diet advice for a cat with crystals?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Petra Mayer, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petra Mayer

Petra Mayer New Member

Hello!

My man Pete was just diagnosed with diabetes this week and will start Lantus tomorrow as soon as I can get his prescription filled. He's been a lifer on Hill's dry c/d because of a few bouts of crystals 3-4 years ago (and because he won't eat the canned Hill's), but from reading these forums I'm beginning to understand that Hill's dry food is basically Satan in a bag. I would really, REALLY appreciate any advice on how to work toward regulating him via diet without setting off another bout of crystals.

Thanks!

Petra

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

If you can find a wet food that is low carb and he will eat, add 1-2 tablespoons of warm water to each meal. This has helped a few FLUTD kitties, if that's the same thing Pete has. The extra fluids can help with crystals though too :)

4. carmen830

carmen830 Member

Adding a water fountain also helps, cats love running water. My Tigger suffered two blockages a few years ago and the fountain helped a lot! Unfortunately it was the script food he was given after the last blockage that I think did him in with the diabetes - but that's a whole other story. If you can get Pete on a low carb food to start that would be good. Does he like wet food? If yes, I've learned that the Fancy Feast Pates classics are totally ok to give a diabetic cat. I cannot criticize your choice of giving him kibble b/c my cats have always had kibble. I've just learned to now give them the higher quality dry foods, like Dr. Elsey's CleanProtein or the YoungAgain. YA just didn't agree with my Tigger's tummy so I had to switch to Dr. Elseys. But his food now consists mainly of wet food. Good luck!

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If Pete doesn't like the Hills try Royal Canin Urinary SO.

6. carmen830

carmen830 Member

Your "Satan in a Bag" comment - I have to concur. That is the food that my Tigger was on for a about 3 months before he started showing diabetes symptoms. For the first few years after his first bout with a blockage, he was on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O and did fine on it for many years. Until I started messing around with different foods and there came the next blockage. Knocking on wood, he's been great ever since he started predominantly wet food and the Dr. Elseys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.