Diet controlled with low numbers??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tigger12, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger12

Tigger12 New Member

Hello, my cat tigger has been diet controlled for almost 2 weeks now. I've continued to check his BG levels to make sure they weren't to high so I was suprised when the past 2 evenings they've actually been low. They've been in the low 50's, raising to the 70's after being fed higher carb wet food. Is this unusuall? What could be causing such low numbers when he's not on insulin, or in his case it was actually glipizide. I'm taking him to the vets on Thursday but was curious what any of u thought. I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this : )
    -Laura & Tigger

2. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

He can't hypo if he's not on any insulin/glip.. so no need to feed him HC food.. 50s is within the normal range for a normal cat.. but if something seems weird or different to you, a check up is always a good idea.

3. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Those are not low BGs, they are lovely, normal numbers! Celebrate and keep doing what you're doing!

4. Tigger12

Tigger12 New Member

Thank you, not sure why but I was assuming they were low. I'm very confused how my cat is doing so well off his medication but I like it!! I've read that Glipizide rarely works for cats or more then six months, but my cats been on it for 5 years?? Almost starting to wonder if my cat only had temporary Diabetes due to an infection & the glipizide hasn't been doing anything. He was diagnosed by just using what his BG level was at during the visit which I've recently learned isn't the proper way to do it. I origionally Brought my cat in when he was diagnosed because I thought he had an infection or injury due to a cat fight he was in the week previously. Whenever I bring him in to be tested (the test that shows how he's been doing over the past few weeks) the vets have always been shocked with how great his levels has been. Any thoughts, is this even possible??

5. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

It's certainly possible that your cat has been managing fairly well on his own most if not the whole time.. infections, ouchies and stress can all cause elevated BG numbers, in both diabetic and non-diabetic cats (people too!).

I don't know much about glip.. but I think I remember you posting a few weeks ago and I found it very odd that your cat stayed with good numbers for so long with no dosing changes or side effects or anything.. seems very odd to me, to be on *ANY* medication for that long, not have any complications and not need tweaks over that sort of time period (1/3 or more of a cats entire life!)..

Now that you've changed his diet, hopefully it will be even easier for him to keep on smooooth sailing. Keep up with the good food and keep testing him from time to time (even if he never was diabetic, it's still a pretty simple and easy health check to do on any cat) so that if things change you can jump right in and help him fix it up quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.