Diet help - Canada/Canadians

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karrie and Maverick, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Binky's list is quite confusing. I'm trying to help a friend of mine with a diabetic cat.

When Maverick was with me, I gave him special kitty turkey and giblet. I was told to go by "Classic Entrees (Walmart)" that these were the small 3oz cans and to not look at the other items. Maverick did amazingly well on this and was almost OTJ. The FF version spiked his BG but the SK didn't. Can you guys confirm that although it doesn't say "special kitty" on the list that this is the small 3oz cans. http://binkyspage.tripod.com/nonusfd.html I've cut and paste the flavours and carbs. She wants a comfort level that I'm correct :)

Chicken Dinner 1 carb
    Cod, Sole and Shrimp 3 carbs
    Duck Pate 2 carbs
    Liver & Chicken 5
    Ocean Whitefish & Tuna 2 carbs
    Salmon Dinner 1 carb
    Turkey & Giblets 2 carbs

Also - what is the cheapest low carb food option? The special kitty is 50 cents per 3oz. Is Friskies cheaper per ounce? Other options?

Thanks!

2. Karrie and Maverick

Bump.

I don't have a diabetic cat to test the food on. If I did, I would ;)

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

My cat's won't touch any of the special kitty so the money was wasted for me.

They like Friskies pates just fine and there's a variety. You can watch for sales and also the big 13oz cans are economical.

4. Karrie and Maverick

Thanks for replying Gayle. I appreciate it :mrgreen:

5. kalyv

kalyv Member

Hi there. I am relatively new to this whole thing as well and live in Toronto.

I found that a flat of 24 cans of Friskies at Walmat is only $11.98 and at No Frills is $11.79. There are three varieties of pates and the turkey and cheese in gravey dinner . While that has much higher carbs, I actually found it very useful to have those on hand when my Lucy was in danger of getting hypoglycemic. But they may end up just wasting away unless you have non-diabetic cats to feed them too.

The big cans of Friskies pate at Walmart are $1.08 and $1.28 at No Frills. I have found them to the cheapest after Wal Mart's Special Kitty brand which I have not tried on my guys yet.

I think the flat of 24 is slightly cheaper than 12 of the big cans of Friskies but the the big cans are the equivalent of about 2.5 cans of 6 oz cans so I guess it depends on how much your friend's cat eats and how much food she has to leave out when she is a work during the day, as to which is more practical and economical for her.

Hope that helps.

6. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Mine will eat Fancy Feast over the more expensive Wellness any day. I try to get in on sale at Petsmart, best price i think is 0.49 a can.

7. cellosmom

cellosmom Member

if you have a costco membership or someone you know does they sell friskies SO CHEAP in canada

8. Karrie and Maverick

You guys are the best. Thank you!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.