? Diet- Raw vs. prescription

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Hi!
    So, I was on the phone today with my vet and she was telling me she thinks my cats unusual readings when I did a curve the other day (I still need to figure out how to make a spread sheet)
    113, 248, 301, 259, 194, 181.
    unusual right?
    She told me she wants me to try the prescription diets, but I do not agree with them. I don't understand how byproducts, and fillers could be better than a quality raw brand Like Vital Essentials where the ingredients in the turkey formula is turkey, turkey liver, turkey heart, goat’s milk, water, herring oil, d-alpha tocopherol (a natural source of Vitamin E)

What does everyone think about the prescription diet? Clever marketing or absolutely necessary?
    thanks!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right....they're pretty much garbage.

From www.catinfo.org

To quote the FDA/CVM Communications Staff Deputy Director:

“‘Prescription diet’ is an industry-coined term and holds no legal meaning.”

In other words, these diets contain no ingredient that actually requires a prescription. The trademarked term “prescription diet” is simply a clever marketing tool between Hill’s and veterinarians. The sale of these diets is restricted (by Hill’s, not by law) to veterinarians only. In return, Hill’s enjoys a boost in perception of quality brought about by this profession’s endorsement of their products. However, this perception of quality is undeserved and this incestuous relationship jeopardizes the integrity of our profession.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. I would not use the prescription diet. Stick with the raw diet. Much better.

Are you testing for ketones in the urine?
    With a recent history of DKA I would highly recommend you do. It is the first line of defence against DKA. If you don’t have any Ketostix you can buy them at Walmart or a pharmacy.

Do you have some honey or Karo and some high carb food at home in case of low numbers?

Here is a link which may help
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216680/

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to do it for you....Just click on my name and choose "Start Conversation" so I can get some information. It only takes about 30 seconds since I've done so many!

5. Mimis mom

I have ketostix but I don't know when she pees.. I have not caught her in the act at all.

6. Mimis mom

yes, I love cat info.org

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Does she go inside in a litter box? If so you could scrunch up some plastic in the litter to catch some urine.
    It is important to test for ketones after DKA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.