? Diff wet food = low BG?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ashley H & Gizmo, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley H & Gizmo

Ashley H & Gizmo Member

So, we've been switched to a totally canned/wet food diet for about a month now and things have been going well. However, for the past few days we've been feeding Fancy Feast Chicken/Beef Classics instead of the Friskies Pates and have seen Gizmo's numbers dropping very low (into hypo territory for sure!).

He's acted perfectly fine, aside from clearly being super hungry, when this happens which has made me less worried. But, I was wondering if anyone else had seen similar trends with Fancy Feast foods? He only receives both doses about every 2-3 days because he's been so low in either the AM or PM.

We started with 1 can of FF, per meal, then went to 1.5-ish. This morning, he had two full cans for breakfast and was under 40 within 8 hours of his shot. Might it be possible that on FF, alone, his numbers would stay within the normal range without insulin? Once we're out of Friskies, we plan to switch to only FF food to see if my hunch has any validity while monitoring BG as we are now.

Also posted in the Lantus forum in case they have any additional info specific to our insulin type. :)

2. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I use both the Friskies Pates and the Fancy Feast flavors you mentioned. We get a drop from both foods, but not one drop larger than the other.
    Perhaps this is an ECID thing?
    Either way, dropping into normal levels with food is a good sign. While you're on this journey just be extra aware of that hypo concern. (Like it appears you're doing!)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Go back and review the lantus dosing protocol. If he's going to hypo numbers it's time to reduce the dose.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That 32 caused a reduction. He was bouncing and hadn't cleared it when you took him back up. I would have held the dose until the bounce cleared.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.