Digestive issues

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roops, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roops

Roops Member

We've recently began feeding Rupie IAMS Perfect Portion Grain Free pate. Chicken flavor. We have only offered it to him for the past 2-3 days. We have offered no dry kibble (Whiskas) and given Temptations or Party Mix sparingly. I think max 7 per day. He seems to enjoy/like the IAMS.

Yesterday we noticed his stools were becoming loose. They were about the colour of Silly Putty and rather stinky. This morning it is much worse. No shape at all and clinging to his rear. I've washed him as best I could. He wasn't so wild about that. An insult to a cat. Now he lays beside me washing his face and legs. I am sure he doesn't feel good. We all feel for him and wish we could make his life better.

Sometime in the mid afternoon the Zobaline we ordered arrived in the mail. Hurrray! My daughter sprinkled it in his pate. He finished eating it in the evening. She gave him another dose this morning in half of a Whiskas Perfect Portion pate. I think it has a few more carbs than IAMS grain free pate.

I do not believe it is the Zobaline that caused his current digestive problems ...only because it was administered late yesterday afternoon/evening, and the problem began or was noticed before this. My youngest daughter thought he was becoming smelly on Tuesday.

I am thinking it was the IAMS cat food. Perhaps we dropped the kibble too quickly, or did not allow his system to adjust to the all wet cat food slow enough. I'm just guessing.

My older daughter also wondered if his blood sugar was too low considering he is not, or was not getting any kibble. We do not have any glucose sticks now to test his blood for sugar levels. They are on order.

I do have some FortiFloria and will try to give him some. We also have cobalequin in pill form. We also have B12 that can be injected. Not sure if we have any needles left for it.

I'd appreciate any wisdom or insight you could share. And if there is a better kibble, please let us know. We do have some DM Purina kibble left but found the same results if given too much.

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Most food companies suggest a gradual changeover when starting a new food to avoid GI upset, taking up to a week to complete the switch. This is recommended even if you are simply changing brands. So if you were feeding all dry then suddenly changed to all wet, that could have upset his tummy. I feed Bama Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken kibble along with his wet as he experienced constipation issues on wet alone and does not really like a strictly wet diet. I see that Dr. Elsey's is no longer selling direct but points to other online retailers such as walmart.com, Chewy's and Petco. You can order as little as a 2 lb. bag to see if he likes it. It is 95% animal protein and somewhere around 5% carbs.

3. Roops

Roops Member

I will look for Dr. Elsey's clean Protein Kibble. Rupie seems better this morning. I think feeling slightly better returning to normal. Washing his face this morning, and cleaning his back end. Can do cat yoga now. Couldn't last year this time. Too fluffy. Gave him a half of a IAMS Grain free Perfect Portion this morning with Zobaline crushed up in it, and a bit of Fortiflora. Licked the bowl clean. Bought some new cat kibble last night. Couldn't remember what was recommended by you. Think this kibble is about 10% carbs. GO solutions by Petcurean? Mixing it with Whiskas, Purina Pro Plan Veterinary DM. Treading cautiously. Tolerates Whiskas but giving him new food sparingly. Don't want more digestive issues. Thank you for your help. Hoping to see improvement with neuropathy, and blood sugar go down.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.