discouraged:(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kays8cats, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

See my post below.

Elmo seemd to be doing ok his highest pre shot# around 300s but now every pre shot they sem to be getting higher?!!

just tested now and it is 400!!! that is the highest it has ever been and he was drinking a lot this am.

So I am not sure what is happening - is he droping too low and rebounding?

I am doing a curve on him tomorow but I feel like we are going backwards here.

I have 8 cats and I switched their diet to all canned and Elmo, my diabetic gets NO other food so I do not get it?

He is on compounded PZI U100 from a pharmacy

UGH...............

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning Kay.

Did Elmo start insulin at 2 units? If so, it could possibly be rebound. Also, which can food and flavors are you feeding him. Some can foods are high in carbs and can be just as bad as dry.

3. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi,

He did not start out at 2 he started at one and then 1 1/2 then 2. May have gone up too fast. He was on each for about one week or so so maybe not enough time to adjust.

He eats only friskies canned the loaf kind, none that are in gravy or shredded or chunks.

He eats three times a day.

Thanks

Doing a curve tomorrow so we shall see

4. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

If you're not keeping a spreadsheet of all your doses and resulting tests, now's a good time to start -- hunt around and some people can find you a template to use that's easy and free.

My guess though is you'll need to go up to 2.5 and monitor carefully. It's my guess that after a few weeks of 300's and ineffective dosing, he's done a little damage to his tissues and now needs even more insulin.

It's possible that you've been overdosing too, but I don't think so. Even if you were, PZI is pretty good for handling high blood sugar from liver dumps and bringing it back under control. Just need to monitor more often while trying this out.

Best of luck,
    Steve

5. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks,

Doing a curve today did pre shot bg - 360 gave the usual 2 units and tested again +4 hours and 340 so I am goingto keep testing every 2 hours till next shot time.

Elmo not too happy this am shook his head and got blood all over :( . Extra scratches and he is ok now :mrgreen:

Steve I have been keeping my own make-shift chart of his numbers so I can transfer them on a spreadsheet.

Will post curve tonight

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

hang in there Kay - it is frustrating but we are here to help! you will get this under control, it just takes some time for most of us... if you want to post over on the PZI forum too, feel free!

7. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks I posted his curve, it somehow wound up near the middle of the page and I jsut posted it. I will also put it in pzi section if I can figure out how to do that thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.