Disoriented hyperglycemic cat, now GA

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Victoria & Stuart, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoria & Stuart

Victoria & Stuart New Member

Hello, everyone!

As my profile mentions, I have been on the FMDB since the diagnosis of my first diabetic cat many years ago. Stuart is still alive and kicking. =)

However, this morning, I noticed that my oldest cat was restless, confused, hiding in strange places, vomiting, and falling down. I took her to the vet, who said that her BG was almost 500, but the other values in the blood work were "normal" for a 17-year-old cat. She was borderline renal failure in her last two set of tests.

Since I already had all the testing supplies and the PZI Vet, he recommended I give her 1.0 units to begin with, which is part of the "start low, go slow" of course. I gave her 1 unit at 4 pm, her BG according to my Freestyle Lite was 283. At +4, her BG was 250. If I pick her up, she howls, and goes limp. This is similar behavior to a cat that I lost to renal failure years ago, who died within hours of the onset of these symptoms, so I am really upset.

My question is, have any of you read/heard about anything that could cause a sudden onset of diabetes/hyperclycemia? The thing is, I had tested her at home several times in the past, a few times recently, and the values were under 100. Last night, she was running around and playing normally.
    It explains the excessive water-drinking and the weight loss despite eating, though. She is so miserable that I want to do something more to help her asap! It has been so long since I had a kitty in the "newly diagnosed" column, that I am having to read up on it all over again!

Can anyone think of anything I can do to help this cat other than wait and see, if it is diabetes or not?

Thanks for any ideas, comments, help.

Victoria

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Disoriented hyperglycemic cat, hiding - suggestions want

I'm trying to get some help for you. More responders.

If it were me, I'd consider a visit to the Emergency Vet.

PZI Vet has been out of production for at least two years
    now and all batches are past their expiration date, I believe.

Systemic organ failure can, I believe, cause severe BG fluctuations.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

has infection been ruled out. that would raise those bg's as well as make him act sick.
    the pzi is often good past the expy but would'nt count on it.
    have you taken his temp.?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oops, i see stuart is a girl kitty. did she have a urinalysis? kidney failure would show up in the blood panel no?

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

With such sudden onset of symptoms such as hiding, howling and going limp, please get her to an emergency vet. There may have been something the earlier vet missed. Were Xrays or at least palpations of belly done?

Sorry you're going through this with your baby.

6. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Possibilities: systematic infection, potassium level imbalence or DKA. I would consider all of these an emergency. Please get your cat to an ER vet now as any of these conditions can be life threatening.

7. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

500 is an awful high reading for stress hyperglycemia though not impossible.

Something like acute pancreatitis could cause this, as well as the vomiting. Sounds like Stuart really needs some IV fluids. I think the emergency vet is in order.

_Rebecca

8. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Pancreatitis is the first thing I thought of, as well. Did you get her to an ER vet? How is she today?

9. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

This is a civvie female and not Stuart? Did you go to the vet? Any one of the things already mentioned in the earlier responses could be going on. I would definitely want this kitty at the vet for bloodwork and xrays to see what's going on.

Please keep us posted.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thank you for clarifying that Jenn, now that I realize it's not Stuart the diabetic cat but a civie...well that is even a bit more concerning as I don't think diabetes presents this way at it's onset. She had mentioned testing this kitty before and her #'s were always 100 or lower.

11. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes I test my civvies, I'm addicted :oops:

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

aren't we all? if i bleed...guess what i whip out?......and it ain't a bandaide!

13. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

I have also tested all of my nondiabetic cats. I have even gone one step further and told people I know with older cats and dogs to test theiir pets. The statistics say one out of a hundred cats is diabetic. I think the number is higher because a lot are never diagnosed. My ketone interest has also spread over into people. I have a friend who is a newly diagnosed diabetic and her MD never talked to her about testing for ketones.

I am left wondering what happened to this cat. I notice we have people post emergencies and then don't respond back. I guess we can just hope she took the cat to the vet and no rainbow appears on this post!

14. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Victoria....are you here ?

How is your kitty ?

15. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Any update? Thinking of you both :YMHUG:

16. Victoria & Stuart

Thank you for your help, but Ivy is now a GA.

Thank you all for the responses. Ivy was 17 years old.

I waited about 30 minutes after I posted here while I was calling around to try to get someone to see her locally (with lots of "no we only see clients on an emergency basis"' responses), and then drove Ivy to an emergency clinic almost two hours from my home ( had been there before, and were the closest ER facility) because there are no emergency facilities near me worth a d*mn. (the one here is notorious for their horrible care and rip-off methods).

She had had a stroke. The vet I had taken her to earlier that afternoon did not even touch or look at the cat, and did not notice her pupils were"blown", which is a sign of stroke. The hours that were wasted by my waiting to see if the vet's suggestion of giving her insulin probably cost her her life. As medical folk know, time is crucial when dealing with stroke (I was an EMT, and I knew the signs and symptoms, but for some reason trusted the "vet").

She continued to decline by the minute, developing neurological symptoms, and her body temp and heart rate dipped so low that the ER vets told me she was not going to make it, despite their care. When asked by the vet, I chose to have her euthanized, even though she was on her way out.

So the "vet" I had been going to for years misdiagnosed yet another cat, which makes four that he said had one thing or another and that they were fine or otherwise completely misdiagnosed, and then they died within days or hours. I can and do blame myself for not running from that clinic screaming after the first cat he basically killed, but I have found a new vet/clinic now, and am cautiously hopeful that they actually care and will help my one remaining cat, my sugarcat Stuart. (If didn't think it would get me in legal trouble, I would mention the horrible vet's name and the clinic's name, so that others could avoid them.) cat(2)_steam

I apologize for not responding sooner, but I had surgery, myself just a couple of weeks ago, and haven;t done much sitting at the computer. It seems many of you guessed very close to what was going on. I just had to get her help as quickly as I could. Thanks again for the responses, I appreciate it.

Victoria

EDIT -- Yes, Stuart is still alive. =) He is getting a dental done next week, and his pollen allergies are acting up, but otherwise, his bloodwork and his demeanor say he is doing fine. The new vet I went to went over the bloodwork with me, and tells me he is well, but that guy I can believe. He is my last kitty now, and I am going to fight like anything to keep him around for as long as is possible.

17. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Oh Victoria, I am so sorry! and so angry at your original vet for letting you and your beloved pets down so often and so seriously!

Hugs to you

Jen

18. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((VICTORIA))))))))))))))))))))))))

I am so sorry for your loss. Its never easy but somehow seems worse when its sudden. Wrapping you up in many cyber hugs. Ivy is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

19. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

So sorry about your cat :cry:

If you feel that the vet was neglient, you can file a complaint with the state veterinary board and licensing board. A member of this board has a web site devoted to stopping neglient vets from practicing. Her own diabetic cat was given an OD of insulin by an unlicensed "vet tech" (I think it was the vet's own son who had zero experience) and later died. Here is the web site: http://www.thetooncesproject.com/ There is info there on what other actions you can take on the neglient vet. Maybe also post on review sites like Yelp.com to warn other pet owners about the neglient vet/vet clnic.

20. Laura and Harley (GA)

Laura and Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Fly free Ivy.

wings_cat rb_icon

21. Karen & Smokey(GA)

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your best memories of Ivy comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

22. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss ....

23. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of Ivy...I could kick your vet for you if you want. Fly free baby..

Pattie

24. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your dear Ivy. Fly free sweet kitty fly free...
    jeanne

25. Kurai & Daniel

Kurai & Daniel Member

I'm so very sorry Victoria for the loss of your dear Ivy. She'll be waiting at the bridge for you for sure.

I'm also terribly sorry for your experience with your vet. I'm glad you found a new one, and I hope they never lead you so far astray.

26. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.

27. Maggie & Mousey Tongue (GA)

Maggie & Mousey Tongue (GA) Member

I am so very sorry for the loss of your kitty and the misdiiagnosis by the vet. You did everything you could for your kitty, who was so lucky to have such a loving mama. I hope you know your kitty's spirit is with you always and your kitty is now looking out for you as your guardian angel. May the memories of all the good times you had together soon bring you comfort. I share your feelings of sadness over the loss of your kitty.

((HUGS))

Maggie & Mousey Tongue (GA)

28. Lorraine + Nigel

Lorraine + Nigel Member

My tears are falling after reading your post, Victoria. I am so very sorry that you have lost your sweet Ivy. Please don't be so hard on yourself. If only we were perfect parents...but we just don't always know. We can only do our best and you surely did that in your search for a Vet to see her that day. You gave her many happy years filled with your love and released her so she could rest without pain. You were a good Mom and she loved you. That will always be with you to comfort you in the quiet moments. Thinking of you. Lorraine

29. Victoria & Stuart

Thank you, all, again. I truly needed the hugs and wishes, and I am still trying to recover from my guilt and all of the other negative feelings.
    I will go to the site given to warn people about that vet. Two weeks after Ivy crossed the bridge, another of my cats did, from kidney failure. In between, I had a serious abdominal surgery. So it has been a very hard year here for cats and humans alike. I give thanks to the people on this board for being so willing to help, and to sympathize when someone loses a kitty. You all have big hearts! Big hugs back. I will post this in a separate, happier post, but my sugarcat just turned thirteen, so there's a ray of sunshine, I suppose!

30. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Victoria,

I'm so terribly sorry you lost your precious Ivy. Sometimes, despite our best intentions and loving hearts, we lose these precious furry souls we love... Please remember that hearts take time to mend. There will come a day when you'll find yourself smiling because your heart will be flooded with positive memories of your Ivy...

Please accept my heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies, Victoria. And, please be gentle with yourself as you heal physically and emotionally...

Fly free, precious Ivy! Soar high on your beautiful wings! I'm sure you're already having catnip tea parties with Gizzie... Giz can show you how to whisper in your mommy's heart to let her know you're okay now. Your mommy would like that...

Much love and countless gentle hugs for you, dearest Victoria, and Birthday paw pats for Stuart,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever whispering in my heart...

Solace

From the silence of your pain I heard my name
    and on the wings of light I have come
    to see the sadness in your eyes
    that cry without tears.

Can you see me? I am here.

I will always be near you
    to calm your shattered heart
    and to make you smile at the memories.

Do you feel me, perhaps a soft brush of fur?

You ache to believe it's real
    but you are afraid to hope.

You brush away a strand of hair
    But it was I, whispering.....

I am only here for but a moment;
    The silver thread gently quivers.
    I will leave behind my love in a dream.

When you awaken, and without really knowing why
    Your heart will know at last
    That it is all right, for now
    to say good-bye.

Copyright © Lisa Carmel Singer Printed with permission