Distilled water for cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blue and Freddies Mom, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on use of distilled water . My vet recommended it several years ago for both my cats who had urinary problems (crystals). He also had me feeding dry food so they drank a lot, also because they are diabetic. Now they are on wet food (thanks to this website) and I haven't really seen them drinking, but was wondering--when they do drink--whether distilled water is OK. I had heard somewhere that it might not have all the nutrients that spring or filtered water have. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I haven't used distilled. I do use filtered water. I also add extra water to the canned food and only on rare occasions see anyone drinking water from a water dish.

3. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

The only type of water we use for the animals in this house is reverse osmosis water. We have a well system.

We have been doing this for at least 14 years. I would say it is closer to 20 now. My dog developed bladder stones the size of small prunes because of the minerals in our well water. We switched to RO and she never had a problem again.

Spring and filtered water is basically tap water. There are no laws on bottled water in America, because water is considered to have no nutritional value from the FDA. That stuff you buy in bottles for $14 a gallon can quite basically be filled from a hose in the basement of someones house.

I make sure to add supplements to the diets of my feathered, shelled, and small rodents because of using the RO water. If your pets have an adequate diet, with a few supplements thrown in, changing your water source will have little impact on them, besides taking away potentially harmful ingredients found in regular water.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I use a Petmate fountain that has a filter in it.

5. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Distilled or deionized (I think they are pretty much one in the same) water is found nowhere in nature so I would never make it the main source of water.

However, I do recommend its use in water fountains because mineral deposits can ruin these products.

Cats on canned food are getting the bulk of their water intake with their food - as it should be since this is the way they are designed by nature.

Therefore....whatever distilled water they drink from a water fountain is not that big of a deal.

I would not, however, make it the only water source for a dry food-fed cat....but then I would be having long and stern talk with that kitty caregiver for not feeding a more appropriate diet.

6. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

There has been a lot of talk about that in the ferret world lately and the concensus is to not give distilled water because they will miss out on all the naturally occurring minerals that are necessary for good health.
    That being said, if your vet feels that those minerals are a problem with your cats urinary health then perhaps you should listen to him.
    I will do some research and see what I can find out for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.