DIY teeth cleaning?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AmericanTemplar, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmericanTemplar

AmericanTemplar Member

Has anyone cleaned their own cat's teeth? I'm not just talking brushing, but using a dental pick? Nigel needs his teeth cleaned but I'm so broke that I was hoping that I could do the job on my own. I found this video:. I got some tools and figure I'd give it a try, but I'm not sure how patience Nigel will be with me.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I would personally not want to try that. It seems that you could injure the cat if you do not have the proper training. Also, cats are sedated when they have professional cleanings - I am sure there is a reason for that.

X-rays are a very important part of dental care, so without those, you really don't know what is going on under the surface which is usually where the serious stuff happens.

Sylvie likes this.
  3. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Does Nigel let you touch his teeth, at all? I wouldn't use the instruments - trust me, they WON'T hold still and what'll happen is you'll nick the gums, they'll bleed, cry and freak out - so no tools.

Only a professional can remove plaque build up, we can't (it's like cement, very hard and stuck on there) - but to prevent FURTHER build up if you can touch his teeth, you can help a little bit.

Don't use a brush, not to start - use tooth cloths, they sell them. You can wrap them around your finger and rub your babies teeth. Fena has started to let me do this with her (only if I put a little liver paste on the cloth of course) - it'll wipe away any future build up.

Lucky, my youngest boy who died of cancer in 2016... he needed a dental but was dying of cancer. He got diagnosed but was still happy and healthy, eating, drinking, playing, no signs at all so we (vet and I) decided to wait until HE told me it was time.. it was a few months and during that, he could have used a dental but since he was dying, we didn't do it. So I used the cloths.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS - in his last month, I would wet a cloth in 1 tsp whiskey and 1 drop clove oil then rub it on his teeth and gums. He'd let me, wasn't thrilled with it but wouldn't fight either. It kills germs and numbs, so he could eat his food. This was sign 1 though, that his time was coming.

At this point with Nigel I'd say a couple things.. if he'll let you rub his teeth, use the cloths. See if you can contact any animal charities, etc.who might be able to help you. Use your phone book, online.. call as many people as you need to, you might be able to find someone to help. Even call vets.

The worst that could happen is they say no but they MIGHT say yes so it's worth it.

Have you gotten an estimate on what his dental might cost, if you had it done...?

4. AmericanTemplar

AmericanTemplar Member

He's not excited about me touching his teeth, but I thought that if he's wrapped in a towel, which is what the lady in the video did, maybe it would be easier?

There is a place that does pet dental cleanings without anesthetic fro $225, which seems cheaper than what most vets charge, but I know that it doesn't include X-rays. I'm not exactly sure what the cost would be from a vet but I know that it is at least a few hundred dollars, and after spending nearly $1000 since his diagnosis, I can't afford to spend any more.

I'll check out the cloths. Are you talking about these?: https://www.amazon.com/Alfie-Pet-Pe...550094285&sr=8-20&keywords=pet teeth cleaning

5. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Yes, ones like that in the link - there are a ton of them honestly, I can look if you want or recommend what I use...?

NOOOOOOOOOO. NONONONONONO. Never a cleaning without anesthetic, never, no. No. Think about it - your cat isn't too cool with you touching his teeth.... so imagine in a carrier, going to the vet, strangers, uncertainty, fear, pain, etc. NO. Please don't.

Try to use the cloths, if I can help more let me know - save up, and call around. Never, ever do a dental without anesthetic - it might not just be teeth cleaning, it might be tooth removal, etc. You need x-rays... so look into it, trust me the worst they can say is NO but ask. Call, A LOT. It's what I did.

6. Paula Nowak

Paula Nowak Member

Hi my name is Paula and I have a cat named Elvis. There is a product called Oratene antiseptic tooth gel but this one is for mouth conditions like gingivitis.
    That same brand also makes a type of toothpaste and it's made for cats and no brush required You just rub it on gently.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know if everyone's vet does this, but my vet does a full blood work up before the dental. This is done to make sure there are no other health issues going on that could affect the dental.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.