DKA cat - need advice--UPDATE JACKSON IS GA

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jonesy77, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonesy77

jonesy77 New Member

I'm not sure what happened to my original account, but I've had to create a new one. To give background:
    At just over 6 years old, Jackson (a male DSH) was diagnosed with diabetes last September. He had lost approximately 4lbs of his 15lbs. We started him on 2u of Lantus 2x per day (with breakfast and dinner). By his next visit in December, his BG was 170 at +6 in the vet's office and he had gained back 2.5lbs. All pointing in the direction of remission in the futue. And he dropped his insulin to 1.5u 2x per day with the understanding that I would monitor him closely and could bump back to 2u if I felt it necessary. We'd follow-up with his annual physical in February. All good.

Thanks to the blizzards that socked DC and a number of other factors, he's two weeks overdue for his annual physical. Bad human. As we neared the original vet appointment at the end of February, I noticed that Jackson had once again lost weight - by my best guess about 2.5lbs. I attributed it to the stress of moving (which we did after both storms). He was eating normal, drinking normal, litter box use was normal. No keotone smells in the litter box or on his breath.

This morning, Jackson was hiding when I woke up and came out to my computer (normal he's underfoot screaming "feed me!"). I had to lift him up to the counter becuase he was just staring at me. He refused two different kinds of food. I still didn't think much of it...he's still getting used to the new place and today was the added sound of the trash collectors out back...I figured he was spooked. I left the food out and went to work. I came home early to find him lounging near the door. But he didn't really look up and he really didn't seem interested in moving. He hadn't touched his food. I decided to take him to the hospital.

There's the background. Here's where I need you.

He's overnight at the Vet Hospital here in DC for, at minimum, tonight. He is ketoacidic and has a UTI. His BG (his last insulin shot was last night) was 270. He'd lost 2.5lbs. The vet and I agreed that we'd start all treatments and wait for the full lab results and see where we were tomorrow.

Already I've put down $1100 as a deposit for the treatment through tomorrow afternoon. It's $1100 that I have, but I don't have. I'm scared that if this is REALLY bad, that number could double. Financially, I don't know that I have that much available. I'm already playing with fire with $1100. I guess my question is: at what point do you call a stop? I realize that the actual stop figure is a personal judgement call, but I wonder what others have done in my situation? If you can't give your cat the best possible care, is it better to put them down?

The apartment's empty tonight and I'm wallowing in self-pity because I not only missed all of the tell-tale signs of DKA, but I'm also contemplating a pricetag on my cat's life - a cat I've had since he turned 8 weeks old. I'm desperately searching for answers, guidance, and advice of any kind.

-Derrick (&Jackson)

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: DKA cat - need advice

Hi Derrick

Welcome to the FDMB. I'm sorry to hear of the circumstances.
    This is a difficult thing to think about, and I'm so sorry you're going thru this.

Sounds like you really love Jackson, if there are ways you could go ahead with treatment maybe on a payment plan, could be discussed with your vet?

I really hope the results tomorrow will be good news.
    Others will be along to offer support and suggestions and thoughts on the situation, best of luck to you, and hang in there, stay strong.

3. Niki & Ephalba

Niki & Ephalba New Member

I'm so sorry you and Jackson are going through this! Having spent $1800 when my Ephalba was diagnosed and $3500 to rescue my Paloma from fatty liver disease a few years ago, I tend to fall mostly into the "by any means necessary" camp. I draw the line at prolonged treatment that will cause my cat serious pain and most procedures that would only prolong their life for a short while. For me though, I know the amount of guilt I would feel at euthanizing one of my cats when their issue is treatable is far more painful than having some debt. I also know that while I'm not rich, I have access to *some* disposable income and lines of credit so while it might hurt financially, I'm not risking my housing, etc. I think it comes down to a couple hard realities. First, can your financial situation handle another $1000 if that's what's needed for stabilization? And second, how do you view animals in your life? For me, they are not pets or objects, but companions who rank pretty high for me. There is nothing wrong about seeing your cat as a pet, but I think it's important to be realistic about how you feel because it can allow you to make a decision you can live with.

As for feeling guilty about not catching it sooner, stop it. :smile: When my cat was first diagnosed, I knew for a couple weeks in the back of my brain that she was having some health issues but denial is a strong foe. It's natural not to want to face the facts, especially when it's about the possibility of losing a loved one, but the important part is that you DID take Jackson to the vet!

Sending healing thoughts to you and Jackson!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Derrick:

I'm so sorry Jackson is sick. Many of us have been in your situation. Gabby came through an episode of DKA coupled with several other acute medical problems when she was diagnosed with FD. My reaction to that diagnosis and the subsequent hospital stay was that's what credit cards are for. Hopefully, Jackson's situation is not hugely critical and there may be some aspects of care that you can do at home (e.g., giving fluids). A great deal will depend on how quickly Jackson stabilizes.There's nothing that you've outlined that suggests that Jackson won't make a full recovery. Since you provided a deposit, perhaps talking to the folks at the animal hospital about working out a payment plan may ease some of the financial stress.You cannot be the only person in these difficult economic times who is willing to struggle or sacrifice for their companion. Hopefully, the people at the emergency hospital will work with you. For me, the time that I would stop is if I knew I could not give Gabby the quality of life she deserves.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Derrick, I am very sorry that Jackson is sick. I believe that our cats know themselves very well and that they will find a way to tell us when it is their time to go. (This was the case with our Alice, who passed away in my arms at the vet's of a very fast moving cancer. After she learned of her illness she prepared us for two weeks before finally "telling" us that she was ready. I cherish the memory of those last two weeks with a wonderful kitty.) If your kitty's conditions improve after this night in the hospital and if your kitty responds to you in his accustomed ways when you see him tomorrow, then you will know what to do. I'm pretty sure that if recovery is possible, you will give him every chance to do so, and I'm sure you will be able to work out financial arrangements with the vet hospital. They know that we don't generally have animal-companion health insurance and that we have to pay out of pocket. Everyone at the FDMB is here to offer support and encouragement to you and Jackson.
    Ella & Stu

6. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

guessing this vet, like many, might give the cat 50-50 odds of surviving the DKA. until my cat got sick i'd never have believed that i'd put a lot of money down despite these odds but when she did, i did. i'd rather not eat than have my cat not be alive. my attitude is that your vet should be your partner in this. i think if the vet thought your cat wouldn't make it he/she would have told you that. so your kitty has fighting odds here.

as someone told me when i was agonizing about the decision, you can always get that much money back again but you will never get your cat again if you give up and PTS. hope that makes the decision easier.

regarding guilt about waiting, we've ALL been there. it's so easy to do nothing and just hope it's a temporary thing and they'll be better soon. you got to your cat in time and got treatment. that's a wonderful thing. you were a loyal, loving owner and companion to your kitty and you did the right thing.

prayers for a fast recovery and a workable bill. (((HUGS)))

7. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

I'm sorry to hear about Jackson having DKA. Napoleon had DKA frequently. His treatments were 3-5 days. Do you have CareCredit? That might help you.

Healing thoughts & prayers for Jackson.
    Linda Lee

8. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

9. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Hope Jackson does great at the vet tonight..

As for the money... ugh it sucks. If you and Jackson decide to fight it out, work out a payment plan with the vet.. like someone said above, money you can get back, Jackson you can't. And certainly don't beat yourself up over noticing or not... Cats just act weird, especially after environment changes.. the point that you rushed him to the hospital is great! You knew that day that it wasn't just from the move, and acted appropriately. Awesome job on that.

If he's still interested in plugging along, give him the best chance you can I say.. borrow from the vet, friends, family, donate organs, whatever you need to do! Once he pulls through things are completely manageable..

THAT being said, he will tell you, and you will just know. Sometimes despite all the best odds in the world, it's just time.

Many hugs and best wishes for a good day for you both tomorrow.

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I had just been talked into getting a home equity line of credit at my bank, just for emergencies, when my cat had DKA. It was a lot of money and it was very very very scary times, but we made it through. And I paid off that loan way quicker than I thought I would. I just wanted my cat better. And I thought it was kind of a miracle that I had those funds to use.

Best wishes to you, Derrick, for finding a way, and to Jackson for a speedy recovery.

11. jonesy77

jonesy77 New Member

I want to thank you all for your support over the past 12 hours.

After talking to the vet and realizing that we were facing potentially $3000 in additional expense (above and beyond the $1100), I made the agonizing decision to have Jackson put to sleep. I was able to spend some time with him and was with him until the end...as was one of his favorite mousies. He'll be privately cremated and I'll find someplace to keep his ashes.

This has been the hardest day I think I've ever experienced, but it was made a little easier knowing that Jackson and I were in the thoughts and prayers of so many of you whom we've never met. Thank you for your support!!!!!!

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

So very sorry to hear that you lost Jackson. We wish him a peaceful passage over the "Rainbow Bridge". May your happy memories of him comfort you in your grief.

In sympathy,
    Ella & Stu

13. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Im so very sorry for your loss. Fly free Jackson!

14. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

(((((((((((((Derrick))))))))))))) I'm so sorry the time had come for Jackson's to cross over to the Rainbow Bridge. DKA is really hard on cats. Once they have DKA, they're usually more susceptible to getting it again. I believe Jackson let you know, in a way that you could see, that he wanted to be released from his suffering. You did the very best thing for Jackson.

Hugs...
    Linda Lee

15. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Fly free sweet Jackson wings_cat

16. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

Jackson was such a pretty boy....fly free sweet baby.

17. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. These decisions are always so difficult to make. May God bring you comfort and peace.

18. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for you loss of your Jackson.
    What a sweet face.

Fly free sweet Jackson.

19. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Jackson. I've told my Potter to find him, and help him learn his way around over there. Many hugs to you.

20. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May your best memories of Jackson comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

21. Tina and Regis (GA)

Tina and Regis (GA) Member

I am so sorry for the loss of Jackson Fly Free Jackson.

Sending hugs of comfort,

Tina, Regis, in spirit, and Persia

22. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Derrick, my heart goes out to you on the loss of your beautiful Jackson. I know only too well just how expensive fighting DKA can be and I just hate it when money becomes the main factor....vets who know their clients and know they won't get scammed IMHO should be able to work out a payment plan. Something to help that owner to help their beloved pet. I am so sorry....he was so young......my deepest sympathy.

23. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. Fly free (((Jackson)))

24. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending many cyber hugs to you. I am so sorry that Jackson is gone. Jackson is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon
    wings_cat

25. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to read this and your gut wrenching decision. Please know you are not alone in having to make such a sad decision. God loves us all, especially the little kitties in our charge. I hope you find some solace in that.

Fly free little Jackson on the wings of angels, land softly in the arms of out Lord, until you meet again.

Peace,
    Jeanne

26. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

I'm so sorry for your agonizing decision that you faced.....I went through similar circumstances with my Lily when she got DKA the second time, I feel for you and know how hard that decision was for you to make. May Jackson be in peace and watching over you. Hugs to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.