DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Updates

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Violet and Garland, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: HELP Ketones are all wrong!! EDIT- DKA kitty in ER now

:lol: "I flung myself to the phone"
    As only a good mom would!

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Violet:

What a beautiful, beautiful girl Garland is. I am so happy you got her to the vet. We are sending major prayers for her quick recovery and that she is back in your loving home again soon.

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

She is so beautiful. Her vet picture is truly sad.

And she is going to get better !!!

And come home and be herself again.

Thanks for the update....keeping Garland and you in my thoughts.

4. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Ms. Violet,
    What er is she at> is it in Euless or Ft.Worth?????
    I know when Gumpy was in er in Euless, they let me go back and see her...I would take trips there throughout the week end...brought her my shirt and she did seem to love to see me!
    Where in Ft. Worth are you? If you need someone to pick up your home item (shirt, pillowcase, small blanket, towel), perhaps I could help out and get to her???
    Just let me know!
    Wishing healing thoughts to you and Garland!

5. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Hoping for a good update this AM! She is such a beautiful girl...keeping you both in my prayers

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Garland is at VCA of Ft. Worth. I just spoke to an ICU tech.

Garland is depressed and not eating. They are trying assisted feeding, but Garland isn't accepting the help. The tech asked what Garland eats at home, but I don't know.

BG levels from 190 to 224. Potassium low--2.0. She is getting potassium in her IV fluids and may have her dose upped when her bloodwork is redone this evening at 7pm.

I then asked about kidney and liver values and the tech went to put the vet on the phone. The vet told the tech that they couldn't give me info because I am not the owner. (HPPA for animals ohmygod_smile ) So I never got to ask my question about pH level either.

But maybe the "nice" vet will call me back when he is on duty this afternoon.

7. Patricia and Gang

Patricia and Gang Member

The way I got Garland to eat was to put the baby food on my finger and then smear it on her tongue or the roof of her mouth. Just a small amount each time and she swallowed it all with no problems. Maybe you could call them back and suggest they try that.

Patricia (GAs Fluffy, Mr QT, Murphy, Jonathan, Flannel, Speedy, Angel, Rusty, Bobby, Ash, Moseley, Suzy, Zak, Kobe and Cory) Corky, Oreo & Rufus

8. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

Adding prayers to Saint Francis of Assisi for poor Garland and Violet!

What an incredible show of care and concern on this thread. I am not able to provide a donation at this moment, However I will as soon as I can.

What an amazing group ofpeople!

Theresa and Christian

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Will do Patricia. Thanks for the info!!

10. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Im waiting for a call back. They were all busy when I called earlier to give me an update. They said I should hear back by 1 or 130. Is there certain things/numbers I should ask for?

Thanks for talking with them this morning... so they said shes not doing any better? :( I hope they call me back soon, im soo worried

11. Violet and Garland

Okay, finally a vet tech called me back. She wasnt able to give me much info. She said they cant get her to eat, and shes really depressed. :( The vet I saw yesterday is going to call me when he gets in and re-evaluates her. So im looking forward to hear what he has to say... The wait is so hard.

Venita- I just gave permission for them to give you any info you wanted about Garland and how she is doing. :)

Thanks again everyone. I will keep you all updated!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Violet, why don't you call Shelly. She lives near you. She sent you her phone number and she said she would go today and bring some of your clothes or whatever to your kitty.
    The mere smell of you may lift her morale until you can get there.
    She is willing....just call her.
    Lori

13. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

As long as her potassium is low she's going to look very depressed. Once it gets above 3.0 - 3.2 she should perk up. When Tucker's was that low we actually thought he passed away becuase he couldn't move at all and barely looked like he was breathing.

14. Amanda

Amanda Member

Hoping Garland starts to perk up here for you soon!

15. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

The medical director of the ER called me. They are pumping R insulin through Garland's IV fluids to combat the ketoacidosis. Garland is more animated, meowing, and showing more spunk that she did yesterday. She is a good patient.

However, Garland still is not eating. (Patricia, I did suggest finger feeding baby food.) If after 48 hours from admission Garland still is not eating, they will consider an e-tube.

Her biggest problem when she came in yesterday was dehydration. As of this morning's blood tests, her kidney and liver values were fine, and her pH was 7.38 (normal range).

16. Violet and Garland

UPDATE

So I heard back from the vet after he came back in today. He said shes doing better. Her potassium levels are still low, so they think she was much more dehydrated than they had originally thought. But, good news, he said shes being much more vocal. Garland is a very very loud, vocal cat. I hadnt heard her meow once in days. So the fact that shes more alert and starting to meow again makes me know shes getting better! Shes still not really eating. They managed to get a litte bit of baby food in her, but not very much. They are going to try to syringe feed her later.

As I hear more, I will tell everyone!! Thanks for all your kind words and prayers for my baby girl!

17. Violet and Garland

I think Im going to try to drive out there tonight. (fingers crossed) But I didnt see a phone number for shelly?

18. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

Re: HELP Ketones//DKA kitty in ER now//First day updates

Violet, I think Shelly is Ohbell, that might help you find the message. Good luck!

19. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Come on garland! We are all pulling for you pretty little girl!! Eat up your fuds so you can get better and come home to your family that will do anything for you!!

20. Patricia and Gang

Patricia and Gang Member

You have my phone number, if you need me to take something to the Vet's office, just call me. I'll be glad to help.

Patricia (GAs Fluffy, Mr QT, Murphy, Jonathan, Flannel, Speedy, Angel, Rusty, Bobby, Ash, Moseley, Suzy, Zak, Kobe and Cory) Corky, Oreo & Rufus

21. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Come on Garland eat your nom noms...You have a bunch of people you don't even know that are pulling for you, and want to get to hear all about what a wondeful spunky kitty you are and see tons of pictures of you once you are back home with the beans that love you best.

Get well little one.

Still got all 20 fingers, 20 toes and 52 paws all crossed for a speedy and complete recovery.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

22. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Hope you get in to see your girl tonite! I know it is so hard to not be in there with them.

23. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Can the vet put a feeding tube in? It will be much easier to give a liquid food like Clinicare for nutriton intake as well as give medicines. Dr. Lisa's web site has info about some common types of feeding tubes: http://catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes

Has the vet tried a little FortiFlora on food (canned, dry, baby, etc)? FortiFlora is really really appealing to cats, even really sick inappetant ones.

24. Violet and Garland

I just called. Shes still not eating... :sad: I think they will start doing more aggressive feeding options tomorrow afternoon

25. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

sending prayers and healing vines for Garland hope she improves very soon ((((hugs)))) to you[​IMG]

26. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My kitty wouldn't eat while he was in the hospital, and he was there for 8 1/2 days. He did enjoy my daily visits though, and I would bring his favorite foods and favorite treats to try to encourage him. Eventually, he ate a couple treats from my hand, but that was all. He came home with a feeding tube. The day after he was home, he started eating on his own again, just fine.

27. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Violet, I have had someone from the Dallas/FW area offer to bring you SubQ fluids if you need them. Be sure to ask if you need them, and I can put you in touch with the donor.

28. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'm not a vet or an expert but this is starting to look like a hypokalemic kitty. Tucker was fine most of his life, it wasn't until he was older that he started to lose potassium.

If your kitty is still low on potassium, under 3 or even 3.5 she might not eat on her own. A strong potassium push through the IV should perk her up, it could take 2-3 days before she does perk. The vet should be monitoring electrolytes and work on getting the potassium up. A kitty with low potassium does look like a DKA kitty in many respects. Lethargy, not eating, limp. Please contact the vet and see where the potassium is now. We almost put Tucker down a year too early because we did not know about Hypokalemia.

29. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Jennifer, although I'm not a vet, vet tech, or expert in any way.

Garland's pH is in the normal range, and with DKA you see acidosis--an acidic pH. There were ketones, but not acidosis. It could be that the hypokalemia and ketones are related or associated...I don't know about that. Good question for the ER vet.

30. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I just spoke to the ICU tech.

Garland is resting comfortably, but still is not eating well. A feeding tube will be discussed this afternoon when Dr. Hill, the medical director, comes in.

Garland's BG level this morning was 211 and she got 2U of insulin. I didn't ask what kind, but I am assuming her long-lasting insulin, Lantus.

This morning's bloodwork is about the same as yesterday. Potassium still down (at 2) and other values in range. I asked about ketones, and was told they test ketones through urine, and haven't done a urine test recently. The tech said she would mention that to Dr. Hill and he might order that this afternoon.

I also asked about whether this could be hypokalemia. The vet tech said she would relay that question to Dr. Hill. The vet in the ER right now is busy with another patient, and not available to answer that question.

I am taking my Jacks and Nellie to their vet this afternoon, so it will likely be early evening before I can update on my talk with Dr. Hill.

Thanks all for continuing to pray and send well wishes for Garland and her family.

31. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

prayers for a quick recovery!

32. Violet and Garland

Its been an uber busy day. Just wanted to pop in quickly to say the vet tech really didnt have any new information for me this morning. She is still not eating. The vet will get there this afternoon and they will consider a feeding tube. So I am on pins and needles waiting for his phone call. He will be able to give me more information hopefully.

Thanks again for all your prayers. It means the world to me!! ((hugs))

Venita- I think they mentioned to me they had Garland on a short acting insulin.. but I never asked what kind?

33. Violet and Garland

I dont know what I would do without all of you! I would not have even known to ask all these questions. Thanks!

34. PeterDevonMocha

Re: HELP Ketones//DKA kitty in ER now//Day 2 updates

come on garland! Eat up little one!!

35. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

The last time Payne was in ER after 4 DKA's she was just as sick but because her pH was in the normal range, they called it a DK .... I worry more about the not eating right now.

36. Violet and Garland

Hi everyone! Im so tired. I think I may even fall asleep as I type this. I havent really slept in days and the kids are being extra wild this week...

I talked to the vet... I wish I had more to tell you guys.. Basically, her BG numbers are staying steady at about where they always were at home since getting diagnosed (around 200ish) Her potassium is still very low. They have upped her dose in her IV as well as started her on an oral supplement. She still isnt eating. They have managed to force feed a bit to her, but not very much at all. He discussed with me several options that we may have to consider come tomorrow.... Maybe even an Xray to see if there is another reason shes not eating (tumor was mentioned) He did say she seemed to feel better based on shes much perkier than when she was originally brought in though, so thats good

Im just getting so sad... It hit me hard today how much Ive missed her. Its been almost 3 days since I took her in, and she doesnt seem to be close to coming home. I guess I was being optimistic with a speedy recovery, and now it seems its going to take longer than I hoped... I wish she would start eating.. She has me worried

Thanks again for all the support! I will update you in the morning when I talk with them again ((hugs))

37. nancy and payne

Sending out healing hugs and much love! come on let's eat! (please ......)

38. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

BIG HUGS back to ya.
    Perkier is good. I'm only going by what my kitty went through, but the first couple of days at the vet he could barely lift his head up when I visited him, and then, very slowly he got better. And he never ate by himself while he was in the hospital. The feeding tube saved his life. That was 5 years ago. What a scary time that was for me. I think I kept my fingers crossed in my sleep.
    I'm just saying, don't give up hope. Keep praying.

Sending feel even better tomorrow, vines to Garland. :YMHUG:

39. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Come on pretty girl - eat!

Prayers and hugs for MamaBean....a big looooong, head on shoulder, don't let go yet...hug....and lots of ankle rubs.

40. my Casey bear

my Casey bear Member

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: Hugs to you, and prayers for Garland, you and your family.

Roberta
    and Casey

41. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I just spoke to Dr. Hill also. (What a gentle man he seems to be. And willing to spend time on the phone.)

Besides what Violet said, all of which he told me except the X-Ray and possible tumor thing...

We talked about how some cats simply won't eat in a hospital setting and that Garland might start eating once she gets home. Dr. Hill agreed that is common. They are syringe feeding Garland Royal Canin Recovery and have started her on an appetite stimulant (although Dr. Hill has seldom seen that work, nor have I).

Putting in an e-tube for assisted feeding is still on the "possible" list.

They are not checking ketones. Dr. Hill doesn't believe that is as important in a situation such as this as are electrolyte (esp. potassium) level and eating. No real answer to my question about hypokalemia vs. DKA. Just a sort of "what is, is" answer.

The price estimate the ER clinic gave Violet anticipated treatment through tomorrow at 8pm, and Dr. Hill said that is still the price target through that time. The price may go up if a feeding tube is needed. Dr. Hill is back in tomorrow morning. He hopes to see a much-improved Garland then.

So do I.

Violet, I am so sorry about your fatigue. I understand; stress can do that. And I am so sorry that you are getting sad missing Ms. Garland. My experience with watching these kinds of situations is that it often is in Day 3 that the cat just suddenly turns around and starts to ***** about going home. May Ms. Garland hold to that "average."

42. Marje and Gracie

Sending more healing vines and prayer for sweet Garland. And some comfort and peace for you, Violet.

43. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Has Violet been able to visit with Garland in the hospital ?

That might perk Garland up if she sees her mommy.

I visited Smokey each day when he was in the hospital for 4 days.

I got him to take food from my finger (baby food turkey) and he
    started to eat on the third day.

44. Violet and Garland

I just talked w Dr Hill.. its not looking good

Garland is still not eating and has developed fatty liver disease. I cant even begin to explain all the medical stuff he was telling me, as I barely understood it myself. He said even if we did everything possible there is still only a 50/50 chance she will pull through. He said he was going to call Venita next, I will let her explain the medical side of it. I dont know what to do. This is heartbreaking and sad. Ive missed her so much, and I also feel like I wish I had spent more time with her over the last few weeks. I wish I could have taken some video of her recently, acting herself, meowing at me when she wanted to eat, our snuggly time after the kids were in bed.. I just never even thought she would get sick so sudden like this... she was fine just last week :( I wish I had done more snuggly time that wasnt just my usual routines...He wants to put in a special tube (peg?) and keep her for a few more days. But he didnt seem very hopeful... he said its a hard disease to overcome. Im going to talk with my husband and see what he thinks. I will be back later... :(

45. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Re: DKA- Garland Update... Its not looking very good....

Karrie, over in LantusLand, went through hepatic lipidosis with her kitty, Maverick. This is something she put together about it - maybe it will help:
    https://docs.google.com/View?id=dddmxzzn_51gr5dpk5w

We've got you guys in our prayers...

Amy

46. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i'm so sorry. don't give up yet is my gut response. 50/50 is still a decent chance i think. i'm not sure why they're waiting so long on the tube though. i would have thought they would have done it days ago so as to avoid developing the fatty liver but maybe they felt they were getting enough food in her perhaps.

47. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

48. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

sweet Garland, go for the e-tube

49. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If the funds are available, get the tube!

50. nancy and payne

I'm so sorry but don't give up! Every time Payne had DKA I got the "talk." That's four talks! I said get her through this and I will keep her alive .... and I have. This is where faith comes in, believe that all the love and good wishes will tip the scale.

51. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Get the tube.....don't give up. I got the "talk" to when my Kitty had DKA. BUT, she pulled through.....

52. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

Re: DKA- Garland Update... Not looking very good....Fatty Li

I've been watching this thread and I'm pulling for you and Garland! Please get the tube!! 50/50 isn't that bad as far as odds go.

53. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Been through that 3 times........get the E tube put it. Liver can come back....only organ that can. Not the stomach peg tube.....the esophageal tube......through the neck. Less invasive,less surgery time,works wonders. Prayers coming and hopefully donations will keep coming in to Venita. Liver has done this because of lack of food and she is out of DKA......she can pull through this.

54. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I went through two hepatic lipidosis tours with Charlie, complete with a PEG tube once and an E-tube the other. Barring a terminal diagnosis (aggressive cancer, etc.), my rule of thumb has always been to give them as much medical support as possible and let them make the decision. Cats have amazing healing abilities and a lot of grit and "heart."

Charlie looked like "death warmed over" numerous times yet pulled through and had quality time with me.

Have they had any luck getting the potassium levels up? That in itself makes them look and act punky, which then opens the door for HL.

You have some decisions to make, but I'd sure try. You're this far down the path already and a feeding tube is not difficult to manage. It would be a shame to give up now.

Sending positive vibes your direction...

55. Ann & Scatcats

Violet, get the tube NOW, and don't worry about the costs, I am willing to send international money check as soon as I know how much the total sum I need to send will be. Also, the vet place needs tó cooperate with me with that since it will take a few days for this way of sending money, first a visit to one bank, then a visit to a second bank and filling out forms, then check has to be written out and sent to me, then I can send it to Venita. So if they just can give her the tube care and other care ASAP as she needs, I can get going with the form filling out things and eventually the money will get to the vet place for the care.

(sigh I'm off so far away and fast isn't fast because of that)

56. Violet and Garland

Thank you all ((hugs)) I would be lost without all of your support. I think I have been crying for the last 2 hours :(

I think I want to do the feeding tube. I called Venita, she is calling Dr Hill to get more of an update from him bc I am awful with trying to explain medical terminology.. I need advice from you experts. E tube or peg? The dr seems to want to do the peg more??

57. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

58. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Dr. Hill is in a meeting. Can't get Violet back on the phone.

Violet, I am saying yes, and after reading suggestions here and Dr. Lisa's feeding tube page, go with the E Tube. ASAP.

DCIN will add another $800 to its donation, or greater if the donations exceed that.

59. Ann & Scatcats

I will too

60. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

$$$ will be in the mail tomorrow. I'll go across the border and send as US post works so much faster than Canadian, embarrassing to say!

61. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Ann, you are a dear!!

62. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

Sent a small donation, sorry it couldn't be more. Praying for you both, Violet and Garland.
    Theresa and Christian

63. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Donation info specifically for Garland.

64. Ann & Scatcats

Everyone counts!

65. Ann & Scatcats

Venita, please check your Messages at fb, I need to know your mailing address for the internationall check and the pm's here on FDMB don't work for me, so I messaged you for your address at fb instead.

Ann

66. Violet and Garland

Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart. Your donations, your support, your knowledge, your kindness, your love for my Garland. I will never forget it. I cant wait until I can repay the kindness shown to me here by helping another DCIN patient when I can

I called and told the tech to tell Dr Hill to do the E tube. (He was in with another patient) I hope they get it going soon. She has been soooo long without food

67. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I just tried (again) to call Dr. Hill. He is not available because....

...he is putting an e-tube into Garland!!! YEAH!!!

Violet told me that Dr. Hill recommended the peg tube instead of the e-tube because they could get more food into her more quickly. Violet, you (and DCIN) are paying for intensive care. The staff need to be feeding Garland very frequently once the tube is placed. I suggest that you become a pain in their butts and call them every couple of hours to ask when they last fed Garland.

Hopefully, Dr. Hill will call once he is done with the tube placement and I also can make that request of him.

Those who do Reiki or who have friends who do Reiki, please put your energy onto Garland. We pulled Tiko away from death's door. We can get Garland home to her Mom's loving arms as well!!

68. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

My reply didn't show up at all.

Go with an ETUBE NOT a Peg tube. Maverick had a peg tube and its much more invasive with potential for lots of complications. Maverick needed two emergency abdominal surgeries.

A few things:
    1. FHL is extremely nauseating. Get a prescription for an antinausea medication that works for cats. Ondansetron or dolasetron. Cerenia is used when there is vomiting. Metoclopromide/reglan is often prescribed but this doesn't work for cats, just dogs. It works for nausea on cats if stomach motility is the cause (throwing up food hours after eating).

2. Calories is the big part of FHL treatment. Cats stop eating enough for many reasons. There is a yahoo group dedicated to assist feeding that has a ton of info on FHL, tube feeding, videos on changing bandages etc. Its the Yahoo Feline Assisted Feeding group. They can support you every step of the way recovering from FHL. They do not advice on diabetes or diabetes diets. You'll learn things like the right amount of water to flush with, how to unclog a tube, tips like blending up the food and straining it before feeding, what medications you can and should not put in the tube, not to rush your cat back to eating on its own, to focus on healing the liver. A cat will eat when they are ready.

My father had liver disease and was able to communicate how miserable it made him feel. He did not eat solid food for six weeks.

3. A liver supplement has proven to improve survivability. Marin, denosyl or denamarin.

Maverick almost died from FHL in 2008 and the vet recommended euthanasia. The FAF group held my hand through his complete recovery. It is survivable but you have to get food into him and he has to keep it down. Keeping you two in my thoughts.

69. Patricia and Gang

Patricia and Gang Member

I have pulled two out of Fatty Liver at home, surely the vet will bring Garland through this. You might want to ask the vet about adding Denamarin to whatever else Garland is getting. It's the one thing that helped my babies pull through.

I will keep you and Garland in my thoughts and prayers, and please, if there is anything I can do to help out, call me. I mean that, day or night, just call and I will be there.

70. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Smokey had triaditis when I first got him (adopted at age 14)....he was in the hospital
    4 days.

Triaditis is Pancreatitis, Fatty Liver, and IBD all at once.

Garland can pull through !!!

Go for the feeding tube ASAP.

71. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Dear Violet,
    If you are to buzy w/ kids etc. to be big pain in the a**, give me the ok to speak with them, and trust me, they WILL DO WHAT YOU WANT! LOL! I have a reference list ~ lol.......

But really, I do live close by and if you need anything, let me know....

Right now, Patricia has been visiting me and helping syringe feed my Civvie Slappy and she is doing much better! Every nite so far and awaiting her for tonite, but I bet I could fit you in the schedule of mine if you need the help....give back when you can~ and that is what I feel I need to do!

Let me know and pm me if you want! GO GARLAND GO! :RAHCAT

72. Violet and Garland

I havent been able to talk with the vet. I guess they had several emergencies come in. But the tech who answered the phone said they got the tube in great. So now I am just waiting to hear back from Dr Hill. Ill keep yall posted when I hear something

73. Violet and Garland

LOL Thanks!!! I hope they will just do it without me having to harass them. But we shall see. (love the cheerleading cats) LOL

74. my Casey bear

my Casey bear Member

Violet,

Prayers for Garland and hugs to you :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Roberta
    and Casey

75. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Violet, and, of course, you too, darling Garland,

Please know my hopeful, healing, hungry thoughts and prayers continue for your sweet furry girl. And, for you, who misses her so...

May she be home soon sharing snuggles with you after your children in bed.

Much love and countless hopeful, healing, hungry hugs for you all,
    Deb and Nikki (i'm rooting for you, garland! get better soon, sweet girl, okay?) -- and, Giz, who taught me all about hope...

76. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

So glad Garland got the feeding tube. My Danny went thru much of what Garland has, and the feeding tube saved him. My Venture actually has a feeding tube in right now due to some different problems.

But!!! Please make sure your vet is considering the risk of "hepatic lipidosis refeeding injury"! Google this term and check out the MarvistaVet link - I think its the second one down. They can't just start feeding at full level right away, due to metabolic issues. If they are not careful, the refeeding injury can occur and basically the red blood cells are badly damaged. In that case the cat has to have transfusions -- this is what happened with my Danny. So make sure to discuss this risk with the vet and find out how they plan to avoid it!

Best wishes,
    laur

77. Violet and Garland

Hi!! Wanted to tell you about what the vet said really quick (baby boy is sick, so Im doing a lot of rocking tonight)

He just said the tube insertion when great, shes groggy, but once shes more alert they will start giving her small doses of water down the tube to see if she can keep it down. Then over the next 12 hours slowly start trying very watered down food. So its a waiting game to see how she does. He is going to call me in the AM to let me know how her night was.

Thanks again for the prayers and support. Its been a very rough week for me. My other cat (Connick) has been a bit mopey the last day or two. He is missing his snuggle partner. I got both cats when they were 6 weeks old. They have never been apart in 12 years... I can tell he misses her as much as me.

Ill let you know how her night was!!

78. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Dr. Hill did call me two hours ago as he was driving away from the ER for the evening. The e-tube surgery was successful and Garland was coming out of the anesthesia as the Dr. was leaving.

Thanks for the info about refeeding injury, Laur. Copied below. Dr. Hill was telling me about that without using the term. He was talking about how they would have to start slow with food and water and "get her stomach re-accustomed" to food. They also would supplement her food. He said that after 12-24 hours, they would be able to establish a calorie target and feeding schedule. So that all makes sense to me now. (I've never been through fatty liver with one of my cats.)

Dr. Hill said that this morning's bloodwork showed Garland's potassium at almost normal--3.4. The liver values, though, keyed them into the fatty liver and they confirmed it with a urine test, which showed dark color and high bilirubin. Dr. Hill did say that the urinalysis also tested for ketones, but he couldn't recall the result with certainty.

Dr. Hill said that at this point the medical issue is only the fatty liver and getting Garland past that. He suggested maybe only 2 or 3 more days in the hospital.

From Marvistavet.

When a patient has been in a starvation state for a while and then begins to eat, some serious metabolic problems may occur in the first few days as metabolism changes. When food is delivered, the pancreas releases insulin in an attempt to store the calories. Unfortunately, insulin also drives circulating potassium inside cells and cats with hepatic lipidosis are often depleted of potassium to start out with. This sudden drop in potassium can make a cat very weak (causing drooping neck, listlessness, urine retention / inability to urinate normally, heart muscle depression and more). Similarly, insulin will drive phosphate into cells in a similar way leaving the bloodstream depleted. Red blood cells will not have enough phosphate to maintain their own structure; they burst causing severe anemia.

If the blood phosphate level drops below 2.2 mg/dl, an IV supplement will be needed. After the phosphate level has started to rise, an oral supplement of phosphate (usually lactose-free cow's milk works well). Expect the cat to be monitored in the hospital for the first 3 days following initiation of nutritional support.

Refeeding injury can be usually avoided by starting with half (or less) of the required amount of Calories at first and gradually working up to the full nutritional requirement over a few days. Having a low blood potassium level at the time of the initial lipidosis diagnosis is associated with increased chance of death.

79. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

((hugs)) been following for a couple days with lots of thoughts and prayers being sent your way. This is an amazing family here, and I'm telling you, the folks here can work miracles!

Sent a small donation tonight. Sorry it couldn't be more!

80. Marje and Gracie

Also following along and praying for Garland. We also had a kitty who had to have a tube (PEG back in those days) and it saved his life. I'm so glad you did it, Violet.

It sounds like your doctor is great and we will just keeping sending healing thoughts and prayers Garland's way.

81. Violet and Garland

MORNING UPDATE AFTER E TUBE

Hi!! I called first thing this morning to see how Garland did last night after getting her feeding tube. The morning vet tech had only been there a few hours, but she said she had fed her an hour ago and so far nothing has come back up. I asked how she did last night and all she could tell me was based on the notes on her chart she was fed every 2 hours (very small amounts) and nothing came up. (based on the notes) YAY!! Im so happy she hasnt been throwing up. It gives me a newfound hope for her :)

Dr Hill is supposed to call me later for more details, but I just wanted to share this good news with you all :)

82. PeterDevonMocha

Re: DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Update... Day 5 ICU

Come on garland, once you get your fuds in you are on the road to recovery!! Many prayers from us to you!!

83. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat Food staying down is great news.

84. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Great News! :D

Hopefully the good reports will continue!

85. nancy and payne

Go Garland!!! We are all pulling for you!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

86. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

:mrgreen:

87. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news for sure!! C'mon Miss Garland we are all praying for you!!

88. Marje and Gracie

:D :D :D :D dancing_cat dancing_cat cat_pet_icon cat_pet_icon cat_pet_icon

89. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news!! Prayers still being sent from KC for a full recovery for sweet Garland!!

90. MommaOfMuse

:RAHCAT Go Garland Go :RAHCAT

Prayers and Purrs still coming from the Great Plains.

91. Violet and Garland

Thanks everyone!

Another quick update: Garland still is keeping the food down. Her BG was low earlier, but they got it back to where it needs to be. Dr Hill is getting optimistic, so thats a good sign. Its still a waiting game to see how she does. Ill be back later with another update, my kids are screaming at my feet right now. I just wanted to pop on and tell you shes still doing pretty good with the tube :)

92. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

Awesome, Christian and I are keeping you both in prayer, (Shihtzu drooler is as well!) :YMHUG:

93. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I was just talking to the hospital operations director about a rescue discount for the bill. She was saying that Garland is really cracking them all up with her talking and talking and talking.

94. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

talking is a great sign.
    Go Garland!

95. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Garland is a talker. I love it!

What awesome updates *clapping*

96. MommaOfMuse

Yay for talking!!!

Bet she is saying, "I WANNA GO HOME!" "LET ME OUT OF HERE!" & "WHERE IS MY MOMMA? YOU ARE NOT THE MOMMA"

Keep it up Garland, and eventually they will let you go home, just to get some peace and quiet...lol.

97. Jessie's mom

Jessie's mom Member

I came home to dancing kitties, smilies, and positive updates. Can't tell you how happy this makes us. Jessie, Church, and I will keep the prayers coming.
    Stay strong, Garland! And you too, Violet! Many hugs to you!

98. SweetLikePeaches

SweetLikePeaches Member

YAAAAAH Garland!!!!! Go girl go!!!! :RAHCAT Sending healing thoughts and good vibes all the way from Nova Scotia, Canada

99. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Violet, and, of course, you too, chatty Garland,

Keeping food down and talking, talking, talking?!?!?! Oh be still, my heart...

Our hopeful, healing, hungry prayers continue for your brave furry girl and her brave loving mom. And, I hope your son is feeling better today.

Much love and countless hopeful, healing, hungry hugs for you and yours, Violet,
    Deb and Nikki (i'm sending special paw pats for you, garland, and for your buddy, connick) -- and, Giz...

100. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Prayers and strong encouragement coming from Washington state, here.

Go Garland, Go !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.