DKA Signs UPDATE, PLS READ

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Giomax, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giomax

Giomax Member

I bought urine strips, but have not been able to test Max yet. I will keep trying--hopefully I'll be able to get a sample tonight.

Max has been acting his "normal" self (as normal as he's been since diagnosis), maybe even a bit brighter. He has a normal appetite, has been drinking and peeing less (I'm pretty sure) and is still up and moving throughout the day despite having neuropathy.

Should I be stressing about not being able to get a sample? The only way I can do it is to take the lid off the litterbox and catch a sample mid-stream. So much easier said than done. ;----;

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If it's too difficult you can do what I did and get a blood ketone meter.

3. Giomax

Giomax Member

I looked for one but they're not sold in any pharmacies around here...I'd need to order it online. Currently am broke. :'(

4. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Put a piece of plastic wrap or aluminum foil inside the box to catch a bit? You really only need a few drops to get a test.

5. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

If pressed, you can test the litter, if it's still freshly wet, but it's less than ideal and a bit messy. All other options are better than this one!

6. Giomax

Giomax Member

I took the lid off and have some plastic wrap in there. Let's hope for the best! I'm worried he's gonna hate the plastic and dig it out.

7. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I use a ladle and catch a spoonful mid-stream :woot:

Giomax likes this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I do what Bronx's dad does. Maury has his a designated ladle that stays by the litter box :joyful:. Works like a charm; the look you get might not be so charming :D

Giomax likes this.
  9. Giomax

Giomax Member

Currently waiting for Max to decide he needs to PEE so I can get to bed! :rolleyes:

10. Giomax

Giomax Member

I tried plastic wrap AND a ladle! No luck! I immediately pressed a test strip to the wet litter spot though and this is what I got.

1548037183448-1486930659.jpg

Kris & Teasel, JanetNJ and majandra like this.
  11. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Looks negative! I use a long-handled spoon, and like Yong said, Felix gives me quite the look when I slip it under him.

Giomax and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Negative ketones - hurray! :) I also have a long handled kitchen spoon (Teasel's own) that stays near the litter box.

Giomax likes this.
  13. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

When I hear Buddy going to the litter box I take off running, by the time I get there and get a test strip, he is almost done so the only thing I can do is stick the test strip and my hand in the stream to get the last few drops.

Giomax likes this.
  14. Giomax

Giomax Member

I was waiting up, watching the box, was waiting when he went in there, jumped up....and still didn't succeed. :confused::facepalm::arghh:

15. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Rhubarb started waiting until the furnace kicked in, or I was in bathroom- neither instance I could hear her scratch in box lol

Giomax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.