911 DKA

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kot, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kot

Kot Member

I took Bailey to the hospital today with all the signs of DKA. He is receiving IV and later-on will get fast-acting insulin. Vet advised to keep him in the hospital for 3 days to get him stabilized and ketones flushed from his system. Besides costing a heavy sum of money (to add to the injury, we just spent over $4000 on treating Bailey's sister who did not make it at the end) my biggest concern is that being in the hospital for that long will be very traumatic for him. Last time that he was in critical condition, about 2.5 years ago, and spent in the hospital 3 days it was very traumatazing for him, at the end of 3 days he looked worse than when we took him there, and he was released to us so we can say "good bye". Once he was home he took a tiny step every day to recovery and was OTJ for a year. He is an old cat and my heart aches for leaving him there for so long. Would it be a bad idea to cut his stay at the vet short and pick him up earlier?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Can you do 24 hour monitoring of the blood electrolytes? Those are critical in managing DKA safely. If the electrolytes become unbalanced, they can cause the heart to stop. If/When the electrolytes are stable, and if fluid therapy and frequent testing is something you can do, he may be able to come home sooner.

Take him a shirt or pillowcase which you've used a lot. It will have a familiar smell and help comfort him.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about Baily! Will the vet let you go sit with him and spend time with him while he is there? Cats are so sensitive to their environment, I know it's stressful for him, and for you, too. BJM is right, take something that smells like you and leave it there for him, it'll help comfort him when you can't actually be there.

Sending hugs and prayers for Baily and you,

Lucy :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear Baily is going through this.
    Have a heart to heart with your vet. He *may* be able to stabilize Bailey to a point where you could cut the stay short with intensive home care. And he may not. Listen carefully to what your vet is telling you. The vet is really in the best position of anyone to know if it's do-able and best for Bailey. After all, he has the training, experience, and has access to Bailey's test results.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I hope he's doing better soon! I think the main thing they have to do is put them on an IV drip to keep their system flushed. (Also an insulin drip..it's a very delicate balance.) Maybe spend time with him there & leave a shirt you wore today or yesterday with him?

6. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

Sending you and Bailey strength. Sounds like he's fighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.