? Do I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sherrib, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Skittles has an infected tooth and has fallen out of remission I think. He ran high numbers for a few days , but then only getting 1 unit had good numbers for 2 days ( see SS)
    Today he has been running over 200 so I just gave him a 1/2 unit. When should I test him tonight? His vert told me to wait until his BG went to 350 & up , but don't we do 200 & up here?

AMPS= 264 ( no insulin )
    +3= 263
    PMPS= 273 (eye balled 1/2 unit )

On the 18th he got his first unit in over a year and his BG stayed under 200 until today . This actually minds me of when he started going into remission ( good numbers for a day or two, then bad , etc )

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep I'd stick with shooting 200 and up. Waiting til he is higher could push him further out of remission. Catching it early and treating is the best way to get him back down.

Is it possible to grab a +3 test? If I recall, night tests are tough for you?

3. sherrib

I can do a 3 hour, I'm a night owl so night testing isn't a problem. This afternoon was bad because I had to go somewhere.
    I hoping this is just a very temporary setback and he is back in remission very very soon .

4. sherrib

Should I do +6 or +7 test too? I'm going to set my alarm since @ 6 will be 4:00 AM.

5. sherrib

AMPS- 264 ( no insulin)
    +3-255
    PMPS-273 ( give 1/2 unit
    -3- 128 ( no food in 2 hours)

Kris & Teasel and StephG like this.
  6. sherrib

AMPS -141 ( no insulin )
    And my alarm didn't off 2 hours prior to AMPS and there was food down . I don't know if h ate within the last 2 hours. But if he did, his BG is to low to shoot anyway.

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Dang even if he did eat, that's a nice AMPS! I really think the infected tooth is causing all this because he's just so low a lot...any word on DCIN help?

8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

If you are unable to do a dental at this point it might be worthwhile getting some antibiotics for the dental infection. The A/B commonly used for dental issues is antirobe also called clindamycin, I used this before one of my kitties dentals and it did help to clear up infection/inflammation. It is more like a band-aid effect but it may help to keep the infection at bay until you are able to get a dental done.

9. sherrib

I totally agree, that's why I was so hesitant to start him back on insulin. If you look back at his SS, his BG was really up while I was waiting to take him to the vet ( borrowed $ ) I was scared that if I started insulin his pancreas might start depending on the artificial insulin and decide to stop producing it it's self. But we can see that I went ahead and gave him to him twice to give his system a break . I am very worried that he's going to fall out of remission completely though

10. sherrib

He is on medication for his infection, he has since the 18th. Yesterday I updated my siggy and added the medicine he is on. Is it showing in it?

I have to find help to get a full dental & get it removed or he will be completely out of remission and from my prior experience working in the veterinarian field I know that the bacteria from teeth likes to travel and live in the sack around the heart which will end up killing him :arghh:

I have just fallen on some really hard times. I love my animals just as much as my human children, about 6 months ago I did contact a organization that rehomes diabetic cats and we decided that since my cats are so bonded that they would have to stay together,( they are littermates)The only reason why I even thought about doing this is because I love my cat so much that I was willing to rehome him so he can have a better life because of the financial difficulties that I am going through right now. But I couldn't go through with it for a few reasons , One of which is not only is skittles bonded to his brother but he is pretty much attached to my hip and him not living with me would do a lot emotional damage and I just couldn't do that to him plus being without him totally broke my heart just thinking about it . My last baby ( my human baby LOL) is now in the 11th grade and will be going off to college soon. When that happens, all I will have left will be my fur children.
    The only reason why I am telling my story is because I wanted everyone to understand. I do think that if someone is already in Financial trouble that they should not take on the responsibility of getting a furchild. I've had my cats for over 11 years and when I became their mommy I had no money problems. I had absolutely no clue whatsoever that my life would change and basically go downhill like it has. If somebody had told me that my husband would decide one day just to up and walk out on his family after 20 years I would have completely laughed in that person's face and told them that they were delusional But that's exactly what happened .

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Sherri, please know that we DO understand. Heck, even those of us on here who don't have financial troubles to start with end up having them usually as we try to treat our furbabies. Trust me, I know what that's like.

Did the vet ever tell you what it would cost to have the dental? I know you can't afford it at all, and I totally understand that...I'm just curious. You're doing what you can for Skittles, and that's all anyone can ask you to do.

sherrib likes this.
  12. sherrib

Depending on what they find when they can actually look around , X-rays etc all I got was $300-$500. At his visit last week, all they did was look at the one bad tooth I know has to come out. Skittles wasn't to happy that day so they didn't spend a lot of time in his mouth.

13. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Most vets offer a discount on dental work in February since it is National Pet Dental Health Month, so maybe they could give you a break with a dental. I am so sorry that you are having to go through all the emotional trauma and also to deal with Skittles numbers going back up. We all know you are doing the very best you possibly can. :bighug: :bighug:

sherrib likes this.
  14. sherrib

I didn't know that about February, thank you so much for telling me! I am going to check on this Monday when the office opens back up

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Sherri, yes Feb is the national dental week at most vet offices but call now and book it as they book up fast. Then see about calling the number I gave you and see if they can help. Fingers and paws crossed for you. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

sherrib likes this.
  16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well that's cool! I didn't know that about February.

sherrib likes this.
  17. sherrib

I am planning on calling tomorrow :)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.