Do i give shot if bg is normal

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by F-Spa, Apr 7, 2020.

1. F-Spa

F-Spa New Member

Do I give my cat his shot if his blood glucose is normal? I notice that when I do not give shot when it is normal it is higher when it's time for the next shot. But I am afraid to give him a shot when it's normal bcuz it might go too low. Any similar experiences? BTW he is on Lantus.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Without knowing a lot more about him, there's no way to answer that.

The safest thing to do is to skip the shot....if you keep getting numbers that you feel are too low to shoot, that usually means the dose is too high.

3. F-Spa

F-Spa New Member

Thanks for your feedback. Normally his numbers are in the low 200's before shot at 3 1/2 units every 12 hours. But every once in awhile it can be low. It was 84 the other night before shot and I did not give. I check hs BG avery 2 to 3 days as my vet said that daily BG checks are not necessary. He eats young again mature zero for dry and fancy feast pate. His diet is very consistent. My vet said not to give shot if normal or low. But lantus is slow and long lasting and I wonder if this allows for a shot even if its low.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. I am glad to see you are home testing your cat. What is his name? As Chris said, a little more information about him will help us help you. Here is a post on how you can help us help you. Included in there is information on creating a spreadsheet to help track blood sugar test values. The answer to whether you can give a shot on normal numbers is "it depends". It depends on whether you have the data and experience to do so. If you look at some other people's posts you will see some that shoot the dose at lower numbers, others skip or shoot a lower dose in a similar situation.

LilTurkey likes this.
  5. F-Spa

F-Spa New Member

Thanks for the info. I've been tracking Pookie's numbers since he was diagnosed 3 years ago. Along with a proper diet 3 1/2 units every 12 hours seems to be working according to his fructosamine levels which was 372 on his last visit. I rely on his fructosamine numbers which have ranged from 321 to 378 on the last 3 visits over a 9 month period. But every once in awhile his bg numbers can be low (below 100) or high(300 to 350) with the same dosing. His average bg numbers when I test before shot seem to be around 230-260. My vet said cats are notoriously hard to regulate so when this happens I remember her words and do my best at adjusting dose accordingly.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here we determine how to change the dose based on how low it takes the cat. That typically is somewhere in the middle of the cycle. Preshot values may or may not mean anything. My girl earned her first dose reduction (by going below 50) starting the day at 430, and back to over 300 by evening shot time.

7. F-Spa

F-Spa New Member

Ok thanks, I think I got what you're saying.