Do I increase doseage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mts1960, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Hi
    my rescued feral kitty has been on vetsulin for about a week now
    On 1unit
    It’s not working according to my vet her level is still high 455
    The thing is she’s only 4.5 lbs and losing Weight . When I rescued her 1/1/19, she was 6.1lbs but she was eating what the feral cats were all eating dry food ( free feeding)
    The vet said no more when I took her in 1/9 and she started on insulin after her test came back . She also has a high liver enzyme count and anemic
    So my vet wanted me to up her dose starting tmrw morning to 2units the things is I did a fur shot tonite by accident she’s so skinny I can’t even “tent” her skin.
    I think dosing her at 2units for the 1st time after a fur shot would be dangerous ?
    My vet opens at 8 her shot is due at 7 . I know it probably can’t be answered in this forum because it’s a question for my vet, problem is she won’t be available until it’s past her shot time
    I just want to do right by Holly(named her for the season) , and give her a better life now

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You don't want to reshoot after a fur shot because you don't want to risk overdose.

Dosing after a fur shot at the next shot time is not dangerous.... Remember insulin is not a medication... It's a hormone. However going right from 1 unit to 2 is a big jump. You might want to do 1.5 for a few days first.

What is the cause of the anemia? How is it being addressed? Is the high liver enzyme from lack of eating?

What food are you feeding now? How often? Does she show interest in eating? Can she eat as much as she wants?while low carb is important, it's more important that she eat SOMETHING.

Are you testing her bg at home? I strongly recommend you test her yourself. Numbers at the vet can be inflated because of stress. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Yep I agree I would never redo the shot even if I know the insulin didn’t get in her skin
    I also agree it’s a big jump . I guess I’m wondering should I go to 1.5 after her not having a dose at all since Sunday morning

As far as why anemic I believe because she’s feral they aren’t well as compassionate they thought I was bringing her in to PTS . I was like um no . I took her out from the cold because she’s skin and bones somethings wrong and I want to help her

The vet said If I want to pay $600 for an ultra sound we may have an answer to the high enzyme other wise she had no clue .

As far as food she’s eating ff either chicken or turkey
    Vet said NO free feeding only at insulin time even thou I’d think at 4.5lbs that’s dangerous for all her organs but I’m no vet
    She acts likes she’s starving

As far as testing my vet said bring her in weekly for a bg test

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I disagree with your vet. Most of us either free feed here on the forum or give several smaller meals during the day and night.
    Yes your kitty needs to eat a good amount before giving the Vetsulin, but there is no reason why you can't feed at several other times during the day and night. Just don't feed for the 2 hours prior to testing before the insulin shots.
    She acts like she is starving because she is .....her body cannot absorb all the nutrients at the moment.....but once her blood sugar levels drop into more normal levels she will absorb more. I would feed her all she wants at the moment. My Sheba got very thin also but she did eventually put all the weight back on.

Also there is no need for you to take her in every week to be tested if you are doing it yourself at home. You will get more normal reading at home as well because most kitties get stressed at the vets and their blood sugar levels shoot up.

Keep asking questions. We are very happy to help you on this journey. It's wonderful you are helping this girl.
    Bron

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Thank you Bron,
    Although I’ve only had her 21 days she’s already very special to me. I’d hate to see my mistakes on this awful journey cause her any discomfort . In all my yrs of rescuing both cats and dogs, never have I come across a diabetic cat .

I will ask a owner of a diabetic cat that lives not to far from me about testing at home
    She was a feral cat so going in a carrier alone scares her to death she pees and poops on her blanket :(

I will say she isn’t drinking 16oz of water a day anymore or peeing it all right back out , but she has lost over a pound from 6.1 to 4.5 just since being put in insulin and no more free feeding

I guess I need to take this up with my vet again. I told her Holly was starving

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You don't need the vets permission to feed the cat whenever you think she needs it. It is actually better for the pancreas to get several smaller meals during the day instead of just 2 big ones. So please feed her more often each day..
    You might like to feed her a scrambled egg a couple of times a week as well. They are low carb and full of vitamins and minerals. You could also offer her some fresh meat.
    You may also find that your vet will not like you home testing the BSLs ( blood sugar levels).. this is very common so please don't be put off by that. The single biggest thing you can do to help your kitty apart from feeding a low carb diet, and give insulin
    .. which you are doing .......is to home test the BSLs. We have seen many times over where testing has saved the lives of kitties and stopped them dropping too low.

Diabetes is a very manageable disease. There is a big learning curve in the beginning but you will soon find it easier and less stressful. We are always here and very willing to help you. There are many very experienced people here who live with FD 24/7

Here is a link to how to home test.......we will help you every step of the way.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

And here is a link to the FAQ page
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

7. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Thank you sooo much . It’s been a tough and lonely time going thru this with Holly
    By myself since her diagnosis

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

We are always here for you. :bighug:
    Always post and ask for help when you need it.
    Holly is a very lucky kitty to have you.

9. JanetNJ

Your vet is wrong. If she is underweight let her eat as much as she wants whenever she wants. If you start testing we would say no food at least 2 hours prior, but otherwise it's fine to feed throughout the day. Give that girl some food! She's acting like she's starving because she is.

Diabetic cats that are unregulated do not properly utilize the nutrients so they are literally starving even though they are eating.

10. JanetNJ

You aren't alone anymore. We are a close community and always here for each other.

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! This is the best place for help and support so please stick around. :)

12. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Thank you

13. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Is it ok to say feed FF at injection time and say friskies at snack time?
    Does brand matter ? As long as I’m giving chicken and turkey

14. JanetNJ

That's fine as long as it doesn't upset your kitty's belly. I combine different brands every day... Each feeding it's a combo of ff and Tiki

15. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Great good to know
    So I upped her dose to a little less than 1.5u
    I’ve heard you have to watch them for 4 hrs, And I’ve also heard the 1st hr is when she could have symptoms of to much insulin .

16. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

If Holly is drinking and peeing less ,
    does that mean it could be something else if she’s not gaining weight or?

17. JanetNJ

You only took her in 3 weeks ago and only started insulin 2 weeks ago. Just keep feeding. It takes time. This is a marathon not a sprint.

18. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Oh ok thx Janet

19. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Hello
    First I’d like to thank you all for your help
    For the 1st time since I caught Holly on Jan 1, (3 weeks ago) she’s purring
    ( liking her new snack times ) 6hrs in between each shot

I wonder thou,
    I know you are suppose to pull back on the syringe before injecting (to make sure no blood enters the needle , meaning your injecting into a wrong spot muscle , vein )
    But Holly is starting to not like getting poked.( ie resulting in a fur shot ) Is that a step you can miss ? Making the injection faster?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

20. JanetNJ

I have never in 2.5 years pulled back on the syringe. Just poke press and go. 3 seconds.

mts1960 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  21. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Oh ok

What about tenting. ? I keep reading about tenting my poor kitty is all of 4.6 pounds no fat to pull up ;(

22. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Tenting is about the skin, not the fat? My wee one is all skin and bones still too and I pull up the skin in a tent and inject in to that. It’s just an easy way to ensure it only goes under the skin rather than in to muscle or something I believe.

mts1960 likes this.
  23. mts1960

mts1960 New Member

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.