Do Lou IAA&IGF results

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Lisa and Do Lou (GA), Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi all I am usually over at the lantus group but wanted to post my ?? this test has always sat in the back of my head on whether I should test Do Lou or not yes he is90% blind,hypetensive, has a enlarged heart since he was 3 and he does snore but is he insulin resistant? I hate to waste money for no reason when money is tight now since I just quit my job as the one of the lab techs for my vet due to health reasons but I take a litter of kittens in later this week for a check and was thinking about taking Do Lou to get this test done if one thought he would benefit from the results I may just be reaching here or maybe just FD frustrated and looking for something to blame but if someone with expereince wants to look at his SS and give me their thoughts I have read and read but still am frustrated over Insulin resistance. I know even if he is I would still be treating him just like I am. anyway....

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: ?? in regards to the IAA testing

While the test results will not change how you treat Do Lou, you will still give what insulin is needed to get good BG numbers, it will let you know whether there is any resistance or a condition to explain the signs you mentioned.
    IAA Test
    IGF-1 (Acro) Test

The bulk of the cost is the blood draw and shipping to MSU. I think you can check online with Fedex for an estimate from your vet to MSU then just add the draw and packing costs from your vet, and finally add the $12 and $45 for the acro and IAA tests. Ask your vet if you can get an estimate of what it will cost before you go in with the kittens. That way, you will be able to decide if the cost is something you can afford now or if it can wait.

There really will not be much of a difference in how you treat, but it would let you know if the pancreas is good or not. You will still give the dose needed, but with IAA you would be more aggressive, and with acro you would be staying away from BG under 100.

I suppose I would say to get the quote and then have the tests done for your own peace of mind when you can afford it. Getting a positive will just give you info, but it could wait until you don't have to worry about the costs.

Maybe you can look at some of the ss for a couple IAA kitties and ask them for their experiences. They could tell you more if they think you need to test soon or if it is ok to wait for now.

3. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

thank you for this advice Gayle my vets pretty much double the cost of all our send out testing so this gives me a idea of how much it will cost me wish I could get by with not having them double the darn cost I may call another vet that my GF works at she used to work at our place and see if their charges would be as high of a markup is it normal for a vet to mark up 50% you know just curious I had worked there for 16 years and in HMMM I guess last 5-8 we were marking up send out tests this much instead of 25% anyway between Do Lou's regular bloodwork and bloodpressure check and then this I can see I am looking at well over 200.00 with my vets markup and this is not including kitten check wow a lot for me to think about

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Any chance you could get your vet to just draw & spin the blood for you? MSU prefers that stuff gets sent by a vet, but you can actually send the blood yourself with a check enclosed to pay for the tests.

You asked if you should get the IGF-1 run as well. The biggest expense in these tests (besides the vet mark-up) is shipping, so you might as well get both done at once.

5. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Yes that is what I was figured would be better if I am going to have his blood drawn then to do both at the same time ;-) no I do not think they would draw and spin it down for me worked there for 16 years and they are pretty strict about things

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Test results are in IGF 44
    IAA 54% so I am looking at one positve here he has been doing well lately so I am guessing nothing really changes

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hurray -- something that you CAN beat!!!

8. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.