Do NOT use Convenia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by houseofking, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houseofking

houseofking New Member

Convenia is an injected long lasting antibiotic for cats and dogs produced by Pfizer.

Convenia lasts for 14 days, but can stay in the system for much longer. There is NO REVERSAL ACTION. If your pet has a reaction, they cannot remove it from their system.

There are OTHER antibiotics that are MUCH safer and can be in liquid form (eyedropper in their mouth) you don't have to give them this!

My vet thought it was a good idea to give my 15 year old cat, Molly, already weakened with diabetes, hypertension, and CRF, this powerful drug. Based on her "hunch" that she had an intestinal infection, without doing tests.

Convenia made her become ANEMIC, and after six days of intensive care, she passed away. Vet's have been handing out Convenia shots without even thinking. Constantly people are pushed to get these shots that are suppose to magically fix everything. Instead, it's KILLING animals.

She will be GREATLY missed, I remember her sitting every morning waiting for me to get home from school as a child. Do NOT get Convenia, unless its absolutely proven your pet needs it. Make sure NOT to allow vets to use drugs for off-label usage. I wish i had known this before she gave her that shot with the promise that there were no after effects.

These were taken just a few days before she passed, just goes to show you how quickly they can be lost.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Molly was beautiful.

Hugs,
    Pam & Layla

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

This is heartbreaking.

There have been warnings here already about Convenia.

Unfortunately, some vets take the pet into the back room and give them
    a shot, then bring pet back to you and say ' I gave kitty a long-lasting anti-biotic'.

We all need to be pro-active and state UP-FRONT that if any antibiotics are needed,
    we will give the pills, thank you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Molly was a very beautiful kitty.

May all your best memories of her comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

4. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

This is so very, very sad. What a terrible way to lose a beautiful girl like Molly. My heart goes out to you.

Another drug that should be added to that list is Metacam. These drugs can be useful at times perhaps, but to me they are putting our dear furbabies at too much of a risk.

((((HUGS)))),
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

5. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

I am so sorry you lost Molly. I am concerned about Convenia. The ER doc gave it again to my civie Laura because of a reoccurring UTI. I cannot pill her or give her liquid and he thought this would be best.

You are in my prayers.

Pattie

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh how very sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. God bless beautiful little Molly.
    Jeanne

7. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Molly was a beautiful girl. Her death was a tragedy but her life had purpose and she was much loved.

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

9. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

Wow, just devastating. I am so sorry for your loss, Molly was a beautiful girl.
    wings_cat

10. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

This is very upsetting....

If you want to post more detailed information, then I will post the case on VIN (Veterinary Information Network) if it looks like there was a definitely link between Convenia and the passing of your kitty.

If cases like this do not get posted on VIN, we will never get 'the word' out about the dangers of some of the drugs that are given to our pets without more consideration as to the risks involved.

By posting in VIN, we 'pay it forward' to other cats that could possibly be harmed by this drug.

11. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so very sorry for your loss of the beautiful Molly.

~M

12. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Safe journey, sweet Molly

My deepest sympathy on this tragic and painful loss. I am so very sorry.

We need to get the word out. I gave Dr. Lisa's info to my vet last year, and although she had never used Convenia, after reading the info (and doing her own research), she has decided that she never will use it - the risk is not worth it. When you are feeling a bit better, please consider Dr. Lisa's request for more info so that she can post it on the VIN. Maybe your darling Molly can help save lives.

In the meantime, please accept my condolences. Wishing you peace and comfort.

13. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Fly free Molly

I am so very sorry for your loss.

14. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((hugs))))) I am really sorry for your loss, how awful.

Thank you for sharing your story - a couple of my kitties have gotten this shot along the way, I am glad to know to look out for it in the future.

Molly was absolutely beautiful - fly free sweet girl. rb_icon

15. Myrtle and Willy The Dude(GA)

Myrtle and Willy The Dude(GA) New Member

:sad:
    I am so very very sorry to hear of this happening..my heart just is so saddened by this...Your Molly is so beautiful. You did what you thought was ok for her...I can only imagine the pain you are in right now..but I can tell you that your beautiful Molly was blessed to have you for her Mom. When I read this it was like I had been hit in the stomach...My Jeannie had a dental about a year ago...and the vet asked me if I wanted to use this antibiotic because it would be easier. I approved the use of this medication. My Jeannie had no trouble with it, but she also did not have any chronic health issue. She is 10 years old and aside from some extractions...she fared well for the dental., although she is a real "scaredy cat". After reading this I will never use it again...I just do not want to take the chance...I had heard it was not a great one to use "after" the dental that my Jeannie had...now I read this and I am almost in tears..that could have been my Jeannie. I am just so sad to hear this happened to you...I think you should notify the FDA about the side effects of this medication..so that it can be noted....there may be more people with cats they love who have had similar trouble. Your Molly is so beautiful...I can hope and pray that your telling us about this will save other cats. Nothing can replace Molly...but know that many of us are truly thankful for you sharing the info on this antibiotic.
    About the intestinal infection...that sounds odd to me...what signs did she have to make the vet think she had a intestinal infection? I have a cat with IBD and chronic pancreatitis...and the only antibiotic she has been on is flagyl, her symptoms were diarrhea and weight loss...and occasional vomiting. So, far she is not diabetic and she is on low dose pred because it is the only way to control her IBD. Again , I am so sorry to read this, but thank you for sharing this...maybe other cats will be saved as a result...I wish that something more could have been done for your Molly. (hugs) Myrtle and Willy the Dude(GA)

16. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Oh, she was such a beautiful kitty. I'm so sorry for your loss. Heartbreak....

s

17. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope the vet is going back to Pfizer to let them know what happened. I know it's a tough time, but if you can share your info with Dr Lisa, she will definitely get your information out on the vet's VIN site to warn other vets. Your poor Molly need not have died in vain. I thank you for taking the time, while you are hurting and griefstricken, to think of us and to try to protect our cats. I also had a vet give one of my cats Convenia before I knew how dangerous it could be. Our condolences.

luar

18. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss ...

19. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I am very sorry about the passing of your cat.

Just want to post a dissenting opinion, though. Although it appears Convenia was not the best choice of treatment for your cat, my experience at the catnip cottage is that use of Convenia AND use of Metacam has done wonderful good and has, in fact, saved lives here when used properly. Medications and vaccinations have their uses and places, and should be examined and used properly on a case by case basis. When done properly and discriminatingly, they can save lives and alleviate sickness and pain.

I am so sorry this was not the experience for you. My deepest sympathies, prayers for your peace and comfort.

20. houseofking

houseofking New Member

The vet is not interested in talking to Pfizer, or talking to me, or having any sort of investigation.

They want me to just move on. I'd be happy to talk to Dr. Lisa about this.

21. Heather & Angel (GA)

Heather & Angel (GA) Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Molly was very beautiful and I know how much pain you must be in.

I think it's a good idea to share her case with Dr. Lisa for posting on VIN. Many vets won't place any stock in cases that might be appear on a message board like this, but if it's posted on VIN, they'll pay more attention. And I think you should look for a new vet for any other pets you have.

22. ceil99

ceil99 Member

so sorry about your baby

yes, get dr lisa involved. she is amazing and can get the word out wings_cat

23. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. I find it thoughtful of you to take time to let us know when you are still freshly hurting from your loss.

24. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Molly was beautiful.
    I'm so sorry. :(

25. cjleo

cjleo Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Molly was a beautiful cat. Vets need more information. I hope you will provide Dr. Lisa with as much info as you can give her.

This is a terrible time after the loss of your precious Molly. But when you feel up to it, request complete records of Molly's illness and hospitalization. They are your records and the vet should provide them.

May you find peace in your memories of Molly.

Claudia

26. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. How did you find this site? I noticed you joined to make this post, were you on the old site as well?

I would get a copy of the records, and then call Pfizer yourself http://www.pfizerah.com/faq.aspx?drug=PU&species=OO . You can speak to an agent and send the records yourself, or they can request them from the vet. You may have to authorize their release with a signed form, though, so it might be faster to have the records yourself to send on. You can also contact the FDA, although Pfizer should do that after you speak to them. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Saf ... 055305.htm

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I too encourage you to inform the FDA and Pfizer about this, and contact Dr. Lisa with more details as she's offered to pass them on in a way that may help other kitties.

27. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry ....your Molly was a beautiful girl.

Fly free sweet Molly...you will be missed.

Thanks for posting about this......there have been others with comments and concerns about Covenia. Thankfully my vet is a little "old school" and is wary of it also.

28. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Molly passed.. she was very beautiful. Til you meet again..

(((HUGS))) & tears,
    -Steph

29. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

How sad, and horrible.
    But thank you for posting the topic. People come and go here all the time and we need to keep this warning active.
    Thanks to this board, when my vet recomended Covina for an infection (as an "easy way to avoid giving meds, he said) I refused and could have spared myself what you are going thru now - I am so sorry you had to go thru this.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Molly sure was a beauty. She's running free now, and happy - try to take comfort in that. You didnt know, you trusted the vet, It's not your fault.

30. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I am not sure if you are still following this thread but you can contact me without the details at my email address listed under the avatar to the left.

Be aware that *details* are needed by any medical community so that they can careful evaluate the case. This would include details of the presenting complaint, physical exam findings, pre and post lab work, etc. The more pieces of the puzzle that can be provided, the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.