Do red gums necessarily mean infected teeth?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathie, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathie

Kathie Member

Sorry to bother everyone again, but I don't know what to do about Mr. B. Since he received the cortizone shot on Tuesday, he's MUCH better. He doesn't seem sick at all and eats well (I wonder if the cortizone had given him a better appetite) His mouth looks better. too. Because his gums are red, does that automatically mean his teeth are infected and have to be pulled? The vet said he should do blood work but it doesn't matter what the blood work shows because his mouth is so bad he has to take the risk. I feel like calling him tomorrow and asking questions and postponing the extractions until Tuesday.

Any advice will be appreciated!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Previously your posted that Mr B had stomatitis. Stomatitis is when the gums (gingiva) react to the plaque on the teeth. The red gums means that the gums are being irritated and inflamed. Red gums are not necessarily mean a tooth infection. In actuality, the teeth very seldom become infected. Instead, the support structure for the teeth can become infected. Cortisone is a steroid and one side effect is to increase appetite. Cortisone reduces inflamation and supresses the immune system.

3. Kathie

Kathie Member

Thanks, Larry. I don't understand why the teeth would have to be pulled, if not infected. Shouldn't there be another way of handling the stomatitis? I don't want Mr. B going through that pain if he doesn't have to.

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Many vets will pull all the teeth if they suspect stomatits, but this isn't always a cure for it. The main issue is the plaque and bacteria. Some kitties are controlled by a few rounds of antibiotics a year and regular teeth cleaning. If they do want to pull all the teeth still, make sure they take x-rays before and after. If they leave any bit of the root of a tooth, then infection can still persist.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The plaque builds up on the teeth and irritates the gums. Removing the teeth removes one place the plaque can build up on.

6. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

There is some evidence that Bartonella henselae infection may be one cause of stomatitis. You could have the cat tested or just go ahead and treat for 30 days with Zithromax (Azithromycin).

Many cats with Plasma Cell Stomatitis test strongly positive for Bartonella and some cats show tremendous improvement with antibiotics focused on eradication of Bartonella; however, since secondary infections are common with Plasma Cell Stomatitis, antibiotic response is common. There is certainly nothing harmful in treating a cat with Plasma Cell Stomatitis for Bartonella.

FMI: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_bartonella.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.