Do you know if?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sunshine and BA, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

Anyone know if diabetes kitties can experience somogyi effect or dawn phenomenon?

Thanks,
    Sunshine

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

They are two different things but yes, kitties do

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Somogyi is talked about quite a bit with kitties, you can read about its occurence in cats in the FD Wiki: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Somogyi

Dawn Phenomenon I have heard mentioned annecdotally, but I have never seen it discussed a lot.

Do you think your kitty might be experiencing either of those, or just curious?

4. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

I'm new to kitty diabetes and am reading alot. Read about the Somogyi and Dawn Phenomenon yesterday. I have noticed BA's morning BG's are higher than her evening, not drastically but higher. She also has a UTI right now and I have no idea exactly it impacts her BG. Thanks for asking.

Sunshine

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I am convinced that Max (my 1st diabetic and now GA) had dawn phenomenon, but there was no way to test for it because I had to wake him up for the ear tests, and that defeated the purpose. But Max (on PZI) had different am and pm dosages because of the dawn phenomenon and because he was a huge am cycle eater (very little on pm cycle).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.