? Does A Wet Food Only Diet Mean Runny Stool?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mattm1124, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattm1124

mattm1124 Member

Hello all. It's been awhile since I've last posted. For those of you who feed a wet only diet, is your cat's stool constantly soft and runny or does it become more solid over time? Up until recently, Oreo was getting 1/4 cup of dry food in the AM, 1/3 of a can of Fancy Feast wet food around 5 PM, and then an 1/8 cup dry food over night to snack on. She refused to eat all wet in the past. The dry food was Young Again Zero Mature and the wet food is currently a variety of the Fancy Feats Pate.

Within the past week, Oreo has not been eating any dry food so we are giving her only wet food now. We would have liked to gradually change her to all wet, but her not eating the dry at all, we had no choice. Lately, her stool has been very soft and when she goes, it kinda comes out like soft serve ice cream. This has led to wet fecal matter being on her butt and we are constantly having to wipe her butt after she goes so it doesn't get all over the floor.

She is also on medication right now, until tomorrow morning when we give her the last doses (metronidazole, sucralfate, and fortiflora , a probiotic supplement.) She was diagnosed with gastroenteritis. She had dark stool and their was blood/mucous in it. We're just not sure if her stool will now remain runny or if it's just a combination of the quick change to all wet food combined with the current meds or not. Besides her stool being really runny right now, the color is better and no blood anymore.

Thanks for any advice!

PS. I tried to change my signature to current food but it says it's too long. It's less, if not the same as the current amount of characters. Any help with that also?

Matt

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

During and for a short time after changing food types it is not unusual to have loose stools. I doubt the metronidazole is causing it since that drug is frequently given for loose stools. The fortiflora is also frequently given for loose stools.

3. mattm1124

mattm1124 Member

Thanks for the reply. So, you're saying this is pretty normal for now since she has switched to only eating wet? Even though she was already eating the same wet food, just a lot less of it during the day?

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Did the runny stool start while she was still eating the dry food? Young Again is known for causing poop issues. Even if a cat eats a few bags of it without issue, they can get a new bag and start having problems.

My cats did not get runny stool from going to all wet food. When I fed them Fancy Feast pate (it was one of the only wet foods they would eat when we were first transitioning) they had poop issues, but it was the opposite. Their poop was small, dark and hard. Once I switched them to Weruva, that problem went away.

5. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Same here, Dusty became constipated with FF and has to get a sprinkling of Miralax in each meal or he’ll plug up.

6. mattm1124

mattm1124 Member

The runny stool started while she was eating the dry food. I wanna say a couple days prior to the runny stool with some mucous in it, she wouldn't eat the Young again at all, and would only eat the wet. She's been off her meds since Wednesday and as of now, her stool is still runny but does seem a little more solid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.