Does anyone feed Nature's Variety Chic Meal?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George and Bert, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

And are you having probvlems with it? They changed the formula and some of my cats have sick bellies from it.
    The carb content also increased to 12.5 %

Thanks.

2. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Allow me a little editorial here: My cats are ciompletely controlled on dry food. My other sugar cat did extremely well on kibble as well. My three Vets ALL say kibble is recomended and stay off wet. I have been feeding my cats ( used to be EVO until P&G screwed it up) Natures Variety and Wysong EP90 with great results. Now, both compnaise have changed their recipes casuing stomach problems so I'll most likely change to Young Again. I have been feeding them all Wellness canned Chicken with 20% water and warmed a bit twice a day. I will stay on the Wellness canned with whatever kibble I wind up with.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just wondering why your vets say stay off canned?
    I had my Dulce go OTJ eating mostly dry Evo Cat and Kitten since would only eat little canned. My civi Moxi also eats little canned and is picky about dry. She will eat the FF dry

4. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Larry, they argue there are many problems with canned not to mention oral problems. These are three senior vets with great reputations and one is amazingly high tech. On my recent visit he said what ever I was doing and feeding to keep it up it's working. My cats would get a big as a chevy if I put out canned. Is it not all about caloric intake? They would be total pigs and the bigger ones would get the lions share. I have fourteen and it's a lot to manage food wise. I also don't belive in constant testing and charts, but that's me. I am not suggesting anyone follow me. I'm just saying that this works for me. By that I mean testing once every few days at different times, maintaining a consitant diet and watching their behavior closely. Also, don't ignore you Vet, but you know your cat better than they do so think before you act and don't go with the usual " Up it two units" advice. Go "Slow" is good advice.
    One of my Vets says 'Treat the Cat and not the disease" and the other says "You don't control Diabetes, it controls you".
    I am about to embark on a feeding adventure which I hope will help everyone who reads it..will post it shortly.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For what I have read and taught in vet tech school only special formulated "dental" dry food helps teeth. Otherwise dry is no better than canned for oral health. The dry fractures before it gets a chance to do anly cleaning. Also, many cats just swallow dry without chewing. Mine will not even chew the relatively large pieces of Evo Cat and Kitten dry food.
    Regarding testing. I test each of my cats before each shot. otherwise once I find a good dose I seldom test between shots. That is unlike many here who always seem to do tests between shots in addition to before shots.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Lightly cooked chicken gizzards may be helpful for keeping the teeth cleaner, due to their fibrous nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.