Does anyone make their own cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bellasmom, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

i might be interested in making food for bella and give it as whirl, not sure he would eat it

2. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Bellasmom that is a good question. I would like to know also and what do you feed your kitty if you make their food. I mentioned that to my husband yesterday when we got groceries.

3. Bellasmom

This was given to me by @Kris & Teasel to read, it’s very interesting and it seems to be a lot of work but she had stated that it probably is until you get the hang of it also there is a bag of stuff you can use instead of all those other ingredients added to the meat, you just add this http://www.foodfurlife.com/store/p3/EZComplete_Fur_Cats_-_130_Servings.html I may give it a try, I’m gonna see if there is a smaller bag of foodfurlife just in case bellamhates it, but he is eating primal freeze dried raw but gets so expensive like 28 a week

4. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Thanks Bellasmom. I think I will just stick to Nulo and she loves it also it is easier for us.

5. Bellasmom

I’m not sure, I know from what I read that you have to add vitamin supplements like the link I gave to you, you grind up the thighs with skin and bones or whatever protein you pick, they did not recommend beef, take a look at the link and see what you think

6. Bellasmom

Way easier lol

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I make my own cat food following Dr. Pierson’s recipe. It took a few tries to get in the swing of it but now it’s gotten a lot easier...just time consuming. I make a bunch at once so I don’t have to do it every week. It’s definitely worth it for me and mine but we have some health issues that I was hoping to mitigate with them.

Chrissy66 and Bellasmom like this.
  8. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I make my own food mostly because I have to address a lot of issues besides de diabetes with my kitties, I also follow Dr Lisa Pierson's recipe although not the one on her web page but one se actually designed for my cats Babu and the civies, the preparation is basically the same as the one on the page although some of the ingredients and supplements are not.

I too make a bunch at once and freeze it, but looking at my cats numbers and blood analysis results since I changed them to this diet is really worthed

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  9. Bellasmom

I just don’t have a meat grinder and was wonder the food for life stuff is that all they need in their food, all my cats are fine except bella diabetic, abby hyperthyroidism and other 2 nothing wrong...meaning can I use like the thighs whole, grind the, up and put that supplement in, is that ok to do and be good for them

10. Veronica & Babu-chiri

I haven't used food fur life among other things because they don't deliver where I live but I think it adds all they need, I actually use cooked ( I don't trust the freshness of what I can get to go raw ) chicken or turkey ( when I can get it ) thighs without the bones for my cats ( I debone them after cooking)

Bellasmom likes this.
  11. Bellasmom

Oh ok so I don’t have to use the bones

12. Veronica & Babu-chiri

I think it depends on the supplements you use, some require the bones some don't, in my case I don't use the bones because of the CKD but I do add a calcium supplement, by looking at the information on food fur life web page (http://www.foodfurlife.com/how-to-prepare-and-feed-ezcomplete-fur-cats.html) it appears you actually do not need the bones

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  13. Bellasmom

Ok thanks

14. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Once I learnt that I do not have to grind bones (as per Dr. Pierson) I bought meat grinder on Ebay, brand new for less than $25.00.
    Grinders with higher, the bone grinding capacity are expensive and that ($$) was the only reason we didn't start home making meals. The one I bought works perfectly on meat + skin.
    I use EZ Complete premix :
    http://www.foodfurlife.com/store/p3/EZComplete_Fur_Cats_-_130_Servings.html
    Good luck with transitioning to raw - I am strongly convinced that it is the best for them.

Kris & Teasel and Bellasmom like this.
  15. Bellasmom

Is it electric, just like a standard one

16. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Yes, it is electric.
    Comes with several sizes of grinding plates - you 'll control how fine the grind is.
    My DH does all the Ebay stuff and I do not have the link at the moment.
    If Ebay search engine allows you to filter the results by "made in Ukraine" you probably get what we did.
    I think we paid $22.

Kris & Teasel and Bellasmom like this.
  17. Prescott's friend

Prescott's friend New Member

There's a great site that has pre-mixed raw food supplements, made in Canada: tcfeline.com.
    My cat LOVES the raw recipe. I did get a butcher to grind up turkey for me - not ideal but can't afford a grinder right now.

Bellasmom and cmonmiracle like this.
  18. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Thanks for sharing. I was crunching some numbers, and it doesn't seem like it's overly expensive if I'm doing the math right. How much do you estimate it costs, including premix and meat?

19. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Thanks guys for all the help on the Home Feeding.

Bellasmom likes this.
  20. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've been told Taurine is absolutely essential for cats. No one even knew what this was the last time I tried making food but I'm old/oldish/older than you so that was a long time ago.
    But if I shave, tuck in my shirt and put my teeth in I can pass for 50.

21. Prescott's friend

Prescott's friend New Member

I paid approx $13 for 2lbs of ground turkey, plus 23 (w shipping) for the sample size of the mix that includes liver - then you add eggs or not. Kind of like meatballs.
    That's meant to make 27 servings at 1/4c each - so about two weeks worth of food depending on the cat.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  22. Veronica & Babu-chiri

As far as I know it is absolutely essential is one the supplements I add to my home cooked food, and is usually listed in all the commercial food now

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.