does benazepril come in liquid form or an injection

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

i can't get the benazapril pill into my cat that has been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. i have tried putting it in a gel cat and in food and i cannot get it down her. she is my hardest cat to pill.
    can you get benazepril in liquid form?
    can i crush up the pill and put it in a little water and put that in a syringe and do it that way?
    i am going to try to put it in water in a syringe or she is not going to get it at all.
    very upsetting. thanks.
    she's not breathing fast but her abdoimen seem to be going up and down with more effort than a normal cat. she is up and about though and eating treats and drinking water very frequently.
    at this point i am not planning to take her too emergency even though to be in the safe side i probably should. i don't know. i am beyond exhausted. she was at vet yesterday for xrays and a few days beofre that for bp readings and complete blood work.
    if you have any ideas or thoughts please keep sharing them with me. thank you.

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Have you tried a pill pocket or cheese or something similar? Boo gets 1/4 of a pill each night...I just wrap it in a pill pocket and give while the other cats are nearby. She wolfs down her "treat" before the others can touch it. I don't think it has much taste, so it would be worth a try. I even prepare about a month's worth in advance.

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can have it compounded as a liquid, not sure about injectable. The diltiazem tasted awful, not sure about benazepril.. when I was giving Merlyn so many pills I would cut them up in a massive pill prep session and put them in gelcaps, so I only had to do one in the morning and one at night.

4. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

thanks. she's not eating well and she is really hard to pill. maybe i will try to get the liquid form asap. thanks.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sara I am praying for your baby. I konw she is hard to pill ,so is my Waldo. Here is what I do. Please forgive if I'm repeating myself. Waldo also has heart problems.

I wrap his Pills(two in each) in a very small portion of Pill pocket, just enough to help the pills slide down his throat. I grab him by the scruff and jam my finger into the side of his mouth, to open it, then pop the pill pocket in the side of the mouth. Still holding the scruff I hold his mouth closed lightly so he can still swallow. I do it so quick now, he hardly knows it's already happened.
    I know she is hard to pill but you must take charge, because no heart meds, is NOT an option.

I truly hope the liquid meds works for your baby.
    Jeanne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.