Does high protein cause uti or crystals

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bellasmom, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

bella has uti a cpl months ago and now this evening he is going from cat box to cat box, I don’t know what to do if the high protein is causing this, anyone having this problem

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

no i think high protein foods are suppose to actually help keep uti's at bay. something about the acidity in urine from the protein breaks crystals up or something like that. since feeding high protein foods, even when we free-fed the dry high protein ones, my uti prone kitty hasn't had an episode, not even his stress bleeding ones.

if your kitty is prone to crystals in urine, highly recommend this awesome stuff, i stopped a lot of my cat's episodes early on in the past by using this for 3-4 days when i saw the litterbox visits signs. if you use it regularly, its suppose to keep them from happening at all but, i don't know how true that claim is. just know it works at stopping them in its tract when caught early.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ7XF34/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bellasmom likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Diabetic cats are prone to uti from the extra glucose in their system

Bellasmom and Sylvie like this.
  4. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I listened to this interview with Dr. Lisa a few weeks ago. There is a part where they discuss a prescription canned diet she says is ok for a short time for cats with crystals. But also mentions the supplement you can add to a diet that gets rid of crystals so you don’t need the canned food.

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Wen to vet turns out no crystals, it’s uti

krazy4kritters and Kris & Teasel like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ok well that's easy enough to treat usually. Hope she feels better soon

Bellasmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.