Does hunger raise BG Numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

This may be a crazy question but I am not totally savvy on this diabetes thing. It seems that if Harley doesn't like a food that I give him and therefore doesn't get much to eat during the day, his numbers are a little higher than if he had been able to eat more during the day. I don't mean over eat.

Another words, if I feed him breakfast, then leave a can of food in his timer dish to feed at noon. If he doesn't like the food he will either not eat it or eat only a little. Then I get home and test before feeding supper and his numbers will almost always be a little higher than if he eats the noon meal. I don't mean HIGH either just higher than if he had eaten.

Is this normal in diabetes?

2. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Donna,
    What a great question--I don't have the answer, but am curious to see what the experienced peeps have to say too! (we're currently diet controlled, as well)
    Love all those 'greens' on Harley's SS:)

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

well, actually i would say there's a trick to your question. in other words, hunger may not be the issue. so let's look at both possibilities :)

yes, i do believe that being hungry or what i call "thinking every meal is her last" can cause BG's to rise. why? i'll use us as an example. Mousie comes from the street. If her food bowl is empty too long, her BG's rise. i think she seriously thinks every meal is gonna be her last so she stresses when there is no food

now, the other thing that pops at me when contemplating your question is maybe eating that noon meal stimulates his pancreas a little, causing lower BG's later?? and if he doesn't eat that noon meal, no pancreas kicking in, thus numbers rise. make sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.