Does Pred help or hurt the effect of Lasix

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George and Bert, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Vet said Lasix eliminates water and Pred retains it. Cory may have a heart condition causing her to cough. I dropped the dose of Lasix to 1/2 12.5 mg tab BID from 1 12.5 mg tab BID and stopped the Pred ( per vets advice ) and now she is coughing again and breathing hard.
    What to do?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Thanks, first gave her Pred and I noticed weeks ago there was a change. I guess my move is to increase the dose of Lasix ( assuming it is a heart issue ) Xrays inconclusive as usual.

Four years on Pred without good results got to go with Lasix higher dose.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You might ask if an oxygen tent treatment would help.

Although this isn't asthma, perhaps some of the same techniques could be helpful. Folks have rigged up oxygen tents for their cats, or even purchased one if it was likely to me needed for quite a while.

5. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

If your cat is on a diuretic and has a heart condition it is most unwise to give any dose or formulation of prednisone. Prednisone in the heart patient can bring about a specific type of congestive heart failure. Are you a member of the feline heart group on Yahoo? Might want to consider joining if you haven't already.

Anita and Squeaker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.