? Does protein alone raise blood glucose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Suzy65, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzy65

Suzy65 New Member

As my cat is still in early stages of stabilisation I haven't yet done any blood monitoring at home myself. Is anyone able to tell me if pure protein (eg. White fish or chicken breast) in a small quantity would be likely to impact on his blood sugar?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Probably not a big impact, if any.

3. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Unless it has stuff added like flavors, solutions, breading, sauces, gravy, etc.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Small quantities of just fish or chicken breast would normally have minimal effect on blood glucose. People here often give their cats treats/rewards of pure meat or fish for that reason. Liver treats 'might' have an impact though because the liver is the main glycogen (glucose) store for the body.

When Bert was first diagnosed, and his blood glucose was in the stratosphere, I used to make a simple chicken broth for him from chicken 'thighs' (or even from the cooked carcass of a chicken if I could scavenge the remains from meat-eating friends, haha!). Just simmered it in water for about 45 mins, and froze the resultant stock and shreds of meat in ice cube trays or bun tins. These thawed easily in the microwave. This was a good way to give him a snack and keep him hydrated at the same time.

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.